Board index PBase Feature Requests Friends and Foes or Blacklist Enhancement

Feature Requests

Friends and Foes or Blacklist Enhancement

Request changes or modifications.
jitams

Friends and Foes or Blacklist Enhancement

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Please modify this feature to perform account lockout on foes. I would like an additional setting on the "Foes" feature to lock a pbase account out so they cannot view any of my galleries. include a checkbox next to "Foe" accounts to apply account lockout.

Another idea is to lock out pbase accounts listed under "Blacklist".

If it is not possible to make this modification, can it be done somehow in a style sheet? Can you please tell me how to do this?

Thanks.

akmc_in_au

Re: Friends and Foes or Blacklist Enhancement

Post Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:22 pm

jitams wrote:Please modify this feature to perform account lockout on foes. I would like an additional setting on the "Foes" feature to lock a pbase account out so they cannot view any of my galleries. include a checkbox next to "Foe" accounts to apply account lockout.

Another idea is to lock out pbase accounts listed under "Blacklist".

If it is not possible to make this modification, can it be done somehow in a style sheet? Can you please tell me how to do this?

Thanks.

We already have that feature. If you go to the other user's profile page you will see "Add {user name} to a usergroup". By default this is "**favorites" but you also have the option of "**blacklist".

Now I do have to caution you though... as long as your galleries are public that won't prevent them from visiting your galleries if they aren't logged in to PBase at the time. Obviously the PBase software would have no way of distinguishing between a genuine "Joe Q. Public" visitor, and the specific visitor that you have a problem with.

One other setting that you may want to adjust (if you're getting nasty comments, for example) is under "Account Settings", in the Options group. You can change the "Enable Comments From" and "Display Comments From" settings. You may want to leave the Enable Comments From" setting as "anyone" (to allow friends and family who aren't PBase members to comment), but change the "Display Comments From" value set to "only paid PBase accounts". That way if the person that you're having a problem with does log out, view your gallery and leave a comment... nobody else will ever see it, and you can just delete it. (The only down side is that you would need to manually show "good" comments from people who aren't paid PBase members.) Nobody is going to pay 23 bucks just to set up another paid account to circumvent your blacklist and leave nasty comments.

jitams

Post Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:52 am

This person copies ideas, styles, locations of photos, photo types taken and then tries to take credit for everything in their copied photo. I have this person in my blacklist, and they still manage to view/copy. I don't want this person looking at any of my photos.
this person is typically on Facebook on iphone, so are you saying that if they just browse on Safari from their iphone, there's nothing that can be done? Facebook has a block setting where they cannot see anything under my Facebook account as though my account doesn't exist.

thanks

akmc_in_au

Post Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:00 am

jitams wrote:This person copies ideas, styles, locations of photos, photo types taken and then tries to take credit for everything in their copied photo.

It sounds like pretty blatant copyright infringement. Depending on where they are and where the site that is hosting the stolen images is, you could try rattling some legal sabres or issue a DMCA takedown notice or similar to whoever is hosting the content.

jitams wrote: I have this person in my blacklist, and they still manage to view/copy. I don't want this person looking at any of my photos.
this person is typically on Facebook on iphone, so are you saying that if they just browse on Safari from their iphone, there's nothing that can be done?

I'm saying that neither Safari nor iPhones have anything to do with it. If a page of a website is public, it's public. It's accessible to any browser on any computing device which has an internet connection.

jitams wrote:Facebook has a block setting where they cannot see anything under my Facebook account as though my account doesn't exist.

The analogy doesn't really hold. Yes, you can make a profile non-public in Facebook. That means that nobody sees it unless they are a member of Facebook, though becoming one is easy. So you would then need to lock it down further, giving access to only particular friends. (Though speaking from personal experience that's far from foolproof either.)

That's fine... but then nobody can (in theory) see any part of your profile unless they are (a) a Facebook member and (b) you have given them access.

Can you do the same thing on a photo sharing web site? On Flickr, yes; it has access levels of Public, Private, Friends, Family or Family and Friends. However to fall into those last groups, the person needs a Flickr account, just the same way as a viewer needs a Facebook account to be able to see your account there.

PBase uses an alternative method; passkeys. You can hide away your photos in password protected galleries. The advantage of that is that you can give anyone the key; they don't need to be a member of PBase. The disadvantage is that people need to enter a password every time they visit. And the other disadvantage is that nobody in the general public - that is, anyone without the password - will see your work. This is little different to the Facebook setting that you're talking about. Yes, you can make a photo or a gallery non-public, but it means that nobody will see it unless you've told them about it. (Subject to what I said above about Facebook leaking like a sieve.)

Those are essentially your two choices; you either hide the galleries behind a password and nobody except the people that you nominate will see them, or leave them public.

However there is no way for any system to say "Block this one person out of 7,714,576,923 people in the world, but let the other 7,714,576,922 through". It's just not the way the Web works.

jitams

Post Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Thanks so much for all your help. I need to test out the blacklist feature further with another pbase customer so I understand how it works. I thought it was a categorization feature. I can't use passwords because then public wouldn't be able to view. Thank you!

Board index PBase Feature Requests Friends and Foes or Blacklist Enhancement