Board index PBase Feature Requests PLEASE let me delete originals (or delete ANY size)

Feature Requests

PLEASE let me delete originals (or delete ANY size)

Request changes or modifications.
zahara15

PLEASE let me delete originals (or delete ANY size)

Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:57 am

Slug,

I thought you were going to do this...so I could delete originals after folks that want them have downloaded them...

If you're not going to do it, please just say so. (It would let lots of folks save lots of space)

Thanks,

Z

sheila

Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:33 am

You don't need Slug to delete your images (or am I missing something). You just go to Edit Gallery, check the ones you want deleted, go to bottom of column and delete images.

Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

srijith

Post Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:19 am

I think he is asking for the ability to decide on what resolutions of the photos he wants on pbase. i.e in the beginning he might have uploaded a high resolution image that was then converted to small, medium and large. When people who wanted the high resolution has seen it, he now wants to delete (say) the original and large and just keep the small and the medium.

zahara15

correct

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:18 am

Thanks srijith...

You are exactly right. I rarely want to keep the high res after folks have downloaded them. And those ARE the ones that gobble space.

Z

ilanphoto

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:59 am

I know this solution will consume a lot of time but it will free disk space by replacing the picture with a low res version.

srijith

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:31 am

ilanphoto wrote:I know this solution will consume a lot of time but it will free disk space by replacing the picture with a low res version.

Am confused.. Why would it consume a lot of time? Pbase is anyway doing the scaling work the moment I upload the photo in original, irrespective of whether I decide to use these lower resolution images or not.

As for the time involved in deleting the unwanted photos, wouldn't it will be less than the time needed to get the same functionality the "traditional way" - completely nuke the whole gallery and upload only lower resolutions pics of the same gallery again.

Just my thoughts.

ilanphoto

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:24 pm

You are correct. I was thinking of the long way, going into each picture and uploading a low res. version.
It is time consuming as you have to prepare a low res version and then load them 1 by 1.
Your solution of changing the whole gallery is good unless there are comments that you would like to keep.
The truth is, I was a bit afraid to suggest this work around so I went the safe route or so I thought
Regards
Ilan

srijith

Post Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:37 pm

:) Anyway I dont see the point of discussing all this when we have no idea whether the admins even reads all this :)

perpetu8

i second this request!!!

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:55 am

Has Slug ever mentioned anything about incorporating this feature???
I would like to do a blanket delete of all the larger images from my gallery...

ilanphoto

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:22 am

srijith wrote::) Anyway I dont see the point of discussing all this when we have no idea whether the admins even reads all this :)

It is like a ghost story, the site is running by itself with no human intervention <b> Matrix here we come </B> :P

srijith

Post Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:13 am

I know for a fact that slug and team are hard at work behind the scene. Those big machines and code base needs a lot of attention. It is just that their participation in these forums leave a lot to be desired.

yardbird

just a thought

Post Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:06 am

Hey,
i thought the only space that we get counted for is the actual photo we upload. we don't get counted for all the different sizes. Isn't this correct?
Regards
Karthik

ilanphoto

Re: just a thought

Post Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:23 am

yardbird wrote:Hey,
i thought the only space that we get counted for is the actual photo we upload. we don't get counted for all the different sizes. Isn't this correct?
Regards
Karthik

According to my calculations this is correct, divide the number of megabytes you have by the number of pictures you have uploaded (both of these figures can be found in your profile page) and the average should be close to the size that you usually upload.
Ilan

zahara15

Slug had mentioned that he wanted to do this

Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:08 am

But that was almost a year ago.

I certainly HOPE he looks at the FEATURE Request forum. Otherwise, who are we writing to?

Slug, you there?

Z

zahara15

still curious....

Post Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:58 pm

bump....

Next

Board index PBase Feature Requests PLEASE let me delete originals (or delete ANY size)