Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Toggling gallery description visibility

HTML and Style Sheets

Toggling gallery description visibility

Customize your galleries.
srijith

Toggling gallery description visibility

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:36 am

Coded up a small trick to toggle a gallery's description field's visibility.

Demo - http://www.pbase.com/srijith/madurodam
HOWTO - http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/howto/toggle_description

Tested with Firefox and IE 6

dang

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:54 am

Thanks!

olafdk

What I'd really like...

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:10 am

That's great - thanks!

Here's what I'd really like: No text visible under the thumbs, until you mouse over them. I think the text is distracting and would love for my galleries to show without the titles. I know, I can just leave my photos without titles, but sometimes I want them... Similarly, the description could pop up only when mousing over the gallery header or something, but the toggle is a good step!
Olaf.dk

yardbird

Excellent!

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:45 pm

Great work Sirjith. This will certainly help in making my travel galleries so much better.

srijith

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:01 pm

Made some changes to the code (JS as well as CSS). Please use the latest code in the wiki.

olafdk

Re: What I'd really like...

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:33 am

olafdk wrote:Here's what I'd really like: No text visible under the thumbs, until you mouse over them. I think the text is distracting and would love for my galleries to show without the titles. I know, I can just leave my photos without titles, but sometimes I want them...

I found a way to do what I wanted:
Code: Select all
td.thumbnail{
     vertical-align:middle;
     width: 200px;
     height: 200px;
     color:rgb(26,26,26)
}
td.thumbnail:hover{
     color:rgb(255,255,255)
}
img.thumbnail{
     margin-bottom:6px;
     border: rgb(0,0,0) 1px solid
}

Basically, the text is the same as the background color [in my case rgb(26,26,26)], and therefore invisible, until you mouse over (hover) a thumbnail. When this happens the td.thumbnail:hover command changes the color of the text and the text becomes temporarily visible...

The img.thumbnail command is not necessary, but I wanted a bit more space between the thumbnail-image and the text [margin-bottom: 6px] as well as a border around my thumbnails [border: rgb(0,0,0) 1 px solid]
Olaf.dk

srijith

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:20 am

olafdk wrote:I found a way to do what I wanted:

That seems to be the easiest way to do it. Anything that relies on Javascript etc, will get messy because there is no easy way to identify the exact image on which the mouse is hovering since unlike the description, the thumbnail tags are not unique.

olafdk

Post Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:03 pm

srijith wrote:
That seems to be the easiest way to do it. Anything that relies on Javascript etc, will get messy because there is no easy way to identify the exact image on which the mouse is hovering since unlike the description, the thumbnail tags are not unique.

Have a look at my newly re-styled galleries (all pages except the root-page) to see it in effect. I am pretty happy with the result myself.

Now, when I get the time, I'd like to use your toggle, but not for the description, but rather all the different text-fields under the image in image-view, or at least some of them. I don't know if it will be at all possible, but I'd like it (limit the amount of text which is distracting from the photograph on display in image-view).
Olaf.dk

srijith

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:55 am

Olaf, nice work. I personally would not use this 'trick' because as a viewer I like to be presented with all possible information than having to find it by accident. In this case, I like to have an idea what I am looking at before having to mouse-over the image. For that matter I would not even intuitively know that I need to mouse-over to get the details.

olafdk

grr... I hate IE!!!

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:46 am

The above described td.thumbnail:hover command does not seem to work in Internet Explorer. Grr... I hate IE!!! I am very happy with the 'trick' myself, I want it to work, but I have no idea how I can get it to work in IE??? I have the same problem on my image-view pages, where I've used a similar trick to hide the camera and lens info (above 'full exif') with the following code:
Code: Select all
.techinfo{
     color:rgb(26,26,26);
     font-size:8pt;
     padding: 20px
}
.techinfo a:link{
     color:rgb(26,26,26);
     font-size:8pt
}
.techinfo a:hover{
     color:rgb(255,255,255);
     font-size:8pt
}

It works like it is supposed to in Firefox and Safari, but not in IE. Example can be seen here:http://www.pbase.com/olafdk/image/57438997&exif=N
Olaf.dk

olafdk

Thanks for looking...

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:09 am

srijith wrote:Olaf, nice work. I personally would not use this 'trick' because as a viewer I like to be presented with all possible information than having to find it by accident. In this case, I like to have an idea what I am looking at before having to mouse-over the image. For that matter I would not even intuitively know that I need to mouse-over to get the details.

Srijith, thanks for looking! I understand and respect your opinion. The reasoning behind it is to minimize clutter and, to a large degree, let the photos speak for themselves. The thumbnail images themselves should provide the viewer with an idea of what they are looking at : ) I trust human curiosity. On his or her way to clicking on one of the thumbs the viewer will soon enough discover the hidden titles.
Olaf.dk

srijith

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:25 am

This trick will not work anymore due to http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=32005

crespowu

Post Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:01 am

What a pity! :(

DVD to iPod

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Toggling gallery description visibility