Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Right Click Disable

HTML and Style Sheets

Right Click Disable

Customize your galleries.
birdphoto

Right Click Disable

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:20 am

Is there a Java script that will work with Pbase so that people cannot right click on my images to copy/paste them??

djwixx

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:08 am

This has been discussed many times and in all cases it was decided it was a bad idea. Yes you can do it but it becomes pointless because to look at a picture it has to be copied to a PC in the first place. Once it is there is it retrievable. Whilst you be able to beat this browser or that browser there are always other tools that can be used to get the picture. On many occasions users see it as assuming guilt and refuse to look at site thats employ such mechanisms. Essentially, if you don't want it taken, either don't post it or post such poor quality versions that they are almost useless for anything other than basic viewing.

stacyjon

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:27 am

I understand the logic behind djwixx's post. It's all very true. Yet at the same time I'm struck by the realization that there are probably an increasing number of ignorant computer users out there pilfering photos -- the "average joe" who hasn't a clue how to get around measures such as "right click disable."

I consider myself fairly well educated and an above-average computer user -- but I didn't realize there were such easy ways to get around the "right click disable" features until I started reading photography forums like this one! Of course, I had no desire to contemplate ways to bypass such systems in the first place.

I can only imagine that there are (hopefully) a number of other folks out there as ignorant about this as I used to be. I know some friends (older adults, mind you!) who have bragged to me about being able to copy photos using "right-click" and then appeared to have the assertiveness of a deer in the headlights when they encountered websites with right-click disabled. It worked to stop them!

So with that in mind, I guess one must decide whether or not they want to prevent the "average joe" from pilfering their photos to use as screensavers or whatever (in which case, something like "right click disable" may work) -- or if stopping the more computer elite user from stealing photos is more important (in which case, djwixx hits the nail on the head).

I'm not sure the answer is clear-cut, but at least it should involve attempting to determine who you are really trying to stop -- and then whether that is even possible.

Cheers,
Stacy Jon Peterson -- Eagle River, Alaska
http://www.pbase.com/stacyjon
http://www.alaskafocus.net

djwixx

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:57 am

All valid points. Personally I'd be more than happy if someone chose one of my pictures as their wallpaper or screensaver. Anything posted at 800 on the maximum side is good enough to view and enjoy but is certainly not going to be used in print, so that's the saver. If it's on the web it's free game. You could have some fun an overlay your picture with a transparent gif - that'll confuse the hell out of people right clicking!!

stacyjon

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:43 pm

I feel the same way. If folks want my photos as wallpaper for their computers, that's a pat on the back for me. It would just be really nice if folks would ask first... People assuming that they can take what they want just cause they can (or think they can) kinda grates on my ethical sensitivities a bit.

stacyjon

Post Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:44 pm

<Duplicate message somehow... Sorry.>
Last edited by stacyjon on Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

paradoxal_studio_classic

Post Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:01 pm

Anyway, Birdphoto, if you still want to prohibit the right click, here is the code to put in your "Description" area:
Code: Select all
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1>
function non(clic) {
var msg="ENTER YOUR MESSAGE HERE";
if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' && clic.which==3) {
alert(msg);
return false;}
else
if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' && event.button==2) {
alert(msg);
return false;
}
return true;
}
document.onmousedown = non;
</SCRIPT>

dang

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:18 pm

thierry_malaval wrote
Anyway, Birdphoto, if you still want to prohibit the right click, here is the code to put in your "Description" area:
Code:
function non(clic) {
alert(msg);
return false;}
else
alert(msg);
return false;
}
return true;
}
</SCRIPT>

I'm not sure what good it's going to do to add it, when it doesn't work.. unless you can offer a hack to fix it?

madlights

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:51 pm

I find it's more effective to save photos at a smaller size...and a lesser resolution, say a 7. Sure people shouldn't take your photos, but they still will...just like they take recordings on file sharing. So I don't really care myself if someone takes mine for personal use...and it is nice if they ask first...commercial use to me is a different matter...but those taking them for commercial use are going to know how to bypass 'right click' and at least we have some legal alternatives if our photos are stolen and used at a commercial site, at least where our country's (wherever you live) laws are respected in the country where they are being used. So I myself and it's only my opinion, I don't know it it's worth the trouble to disable right click. I also have had situations where I give my permission for my photos to be used to people, maybe as a basis for a non commercial painting etc. and I just tell them go ahead and 'right click' and saves me and them the hassle of emailing them. So although it should be a perfect world...it ain't. Isn't it better to save pics at a smaller size..less resolution...since computer monitors are fairly low res (even the best) if someone wants to buy one, send them a hi res print...(which of course they could copy with a scanner and reprint or post) I think once the morality of a society(s) is changed for whatever reason...the thing is you've got to watch out for yourself as best you can...I used to be a lot more idealistic.

tim32225

Right click disable doesn't work here anymore

Post Sat May 26, 2007 9:19 pm

I don't know what planet you guys have been on lately, but the right click disable doesn't work at pbase anymore anyway, since they started stripping the javascript. Even if you wanted to do it, I don't know any way to make it work with javascript disabled.

Tim

dang wrote:thierry_malaval wrote
Code:
function non(clic) {
alert(msg);
return false;}
else
alert(msg);
return false;
}
return true;
}
</SCRIPT>

I'm not sure what good it's going to do to add it, when it doesn't work.. unless you can offer a hack to fix it?

paradoxal_studio_classic

Post Sun May 27, 2007 6:26 pm

Times change ...

dang

Post Thu May 31, 2007 7:53 pm

Thierry wrote:
Times change ...

Anythings possible though.. Statcounter works with java, and there's a fix to make it work here now. So, maybe someone might come up with a way for this to work too.

Like Barri, I think better protection is to post smaller size files since the only person "right click disable" will stop, is an honest person who probably isn't going to take others work anyway. And for those who like to navigate with their mouse, it causes them to leave. While it sounds like a good option on the surface, most people would use "screen shot" just as easily as right click.

leventoz

Post Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:43 am

thanks for script code :wink:

n7360

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:46 pm

Nice scripts, but I think you need add this code in html header:
Code: Select all
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
</HEAD>
Best wishes! Jasmine.