Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Am I the only one who doesn't like the webdev style?

HTML and Style Sheets

Am I the only one who doesn't like the webdev style?

Customize your galleries.

Do you like the webdev style?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes : 44

mrfixit

Am I the only one who doesn't like the webdev style?

Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:02 pm

I must say that having the thumbnails dimmed out until your mouse cursor is hovering over the image is quite annoying. I think whatever artistic effect is achieved is canceled out by not being able to see the photos clearly.

patsfuchias

Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:35 pm

about webdev
nice idea but indeed troubeling clear thumbnails
simply cut out the bad and try to combinate thegood
an attempt to do so:

http://www.pbase.com/patsfuchias

srijith

Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:33 am

The only thing I liked was the bgcolor. But then karen99 (or a name lie that) already has the color. What I hate most about webdev is the IE specifc "tricks" that it uses that breaks so badly in Opera.

srijith

Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:35 am

patsfuchias wrote:combinate thegood
an attempt to do so:
http://www.pbase.com/patsfuchias

Have you tried your labum in Opera? It feel as if the whole page is moving and the image is popping up. Has an altogether disturbing feel :)

valsharp

Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:46 am

In Mozilla the thumbnail pops around so much that I can get it to pop right off the right-hand side of the page!

--
Val

patsfuchias

Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:22 am

adjusted
px thumbnail = hover

valsharp

Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:04 pm

To patsfuchias -

Problems are occurring because you set all .thumbnail elements to 'display:block', when it's just the A element that needs this.

So insert :

a.thumbnail {display:block;}

and remove that particlar style from the .thumbnail and .thumbnail:hover selectors.

And since it's just the A element border that you want to change on hover, change '.thumbnail:hover' to 'a.thumbnail:hover'

Also, remove the spurious comma after the '.thumbnail' selector ... being invalid syntax, it is causing those styles to be ignored.

It then works the same in IE and Mozilla, and looks pretty much the same in Opera.

(The hover effect doesn't work in the Opera7 beta version I have. For some reason it won't dynamically change those border-styles on the A element, but will if you put them on the IMG element instead - but then of course it won't work in IE ... sigh)

__
Val

patsfuchias

Post Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:04 pm

valsharp wrote:To patsfuchias -

Problems are occurring because __
Val

adjusted with http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html

karen1109

Love or hate Webdev style?

Post Sun Aug 24, 2003 2:35 pm

I hate it. When I first saw it, I thought it was kinda cool. But when I started viewing whole galleries with that style, it drove me nuts --- the default images are too dim for effective visibility (esp. if the photographer shoots on the dark side). I find that I exit those galleries much sooner than I otherwise would because it's too much work to mouseover to see whether or not the thumbs are compelling enough to warrant clicking for an enlarged view.

francist

Re: Love or hate Webdev style?

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:29 am

karen1109 wrote:I hate it. When I first saw it, I thought it was kinda cool. But when I started viewing whole galleries with that style, it drove me nuts --- the default images are too dim for effective visibility (esp. if the photographer shoots on the dark side). I find that I exit those galleries much sooner than I otherwise would because it's too much work to mouseover to see whether or not the thumbs are compelling enough to warrant clicking for an enlarged view.

Karen,
I do not experience the "dimming" effect you're talking about... I am using IE and Safari on a MacIntosh. Does the " opacity filter" affect only PC users ?

francis

thewedding

oei ...

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:36 am

I sure hope it's not personal :)

I tried to make something that suited my needs as I find the text distracting from the images but I agree with Karen that if you hold lots of pictures in your galley it's advicable to remove the dim (opacity effect)
(btw nice personal site Karen)

I will post some new css version shortly to implement some feature requests (color and text wise) and better mozilla support and mozilla specific effects like corner radious on the thumbs.

till then... edit away on the default css file to get your own look and feel so it will suit your needs as well.

long live open source :)

hope it helps, webdev

srijith

Re: oei ...

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:01 pm

webdev wrote:I sure hope it's not personal :)

I am sure it is not. The CSS is great. Personal dislikes can't be helped :)

francist

Re: oei ...

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:15 pm

webdev wrote:I sure hope it's not personal :)

I tried to make something that suited my needs as I find the text distracting from the images but I agree with Karen that if you hold lots of pictures in your galley it's advicable to remove the dim (opacity effect)
(btw nice personal site Karen)

I will post some new css version shortly to implement some feature requests (color and text wise) and better mozilla support and mozilla specific effects like corner radious on the thumbs.

till then... edit away on the default css file to get your own look and feel so it will suit your needs as well.

long live open source :)

hope it helps, webdev

Many thanks to you, Pim, for sharing with us your beautiful stylesheet.
Francis Toussaint

thewedding

thnx

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:59 pm

and thnx srijith for the -moz alpha tag I knew about the radius effect but the alpha for mozilla is new to me..

btw nice xhtml site (code and content wise) in the end we all go.back() to the basics :) now with the compliant standards and all its nice to work with css and xhtml at first when I saw the div tag make its entre on the internet I thought ooh no there goes compatibility and now we finaly can skip the tables and other redundant tags :)

karen1109

I love Webdev with opacity removed

Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:08 am

When I first responded, I had been very recently frustrated by trying to find a specific image from among hundreds of images in a gallery with this style. The user had dark images to begin with, so the darker default opacity color made it nearly impossible to see the images (it was very close to being a gallery of little black rectangles), thus my frustration. I think the opacity works much better when the images are bright with lots of color, so the visibility is greater when opaque.

When I analyze my reaction to Webdev, the only thing, really I don't like about the style is the opacity --- and when opacity is removed, I think it ranks as one of the best (if not the best) of the pbase stylesheets.

With that said, I actually like the concept of opacity and mousing over to illuminate an image, when used in a smart way.

Next

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Am I the only one who doesn't like the webdev style?