Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Adding a title to the root gallery.

HTML and Style Sheets

Adding a title to the root gallery.

Customize your galleries.
jmuhrline

Adding a title to the root gallery.

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:20 am

Does anyone know how I would go about adding a title to my root gallery? When you click on edit this gallery, for the root gallery you can add a discription but not a title as you can on all galleries added to the root gallery.

dang

Re: Adding a title to the root gallery.

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:38 am

The root gallery uses your user name within it's url, and can't be changed. You can dress it with a banner though.
Try this thread: http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37975

jmuhrline

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks, I tried but it doesn't work the way I'd like it to. On a gallery page that you create on your root gallery, if your resize the window the title bar will resize along with the rest of the page, but if the title is a banner being displayed by putting it in the description box on the edit page, when you resize the window the title doesn't resize along with the window. Does that make sense the way I said that?
See if this makes more sense. If you edit your root gallery and click on "Sample Style Sheets" in order to choose one of the available CSS and then click on "Original Template Stylesheets" and choose "karen 1109" as the CSS to use, when you create a gallery and give it a name, when you display that gallery there is a black bar with the title of the gallery on it displayed across the top of the page. Now, if you resize the window the title bar will resize along with it. There are other users that have that same title bar across the top of their root gallery and it resizes the same as on a gallery you create. It won't work that way if it's a banner being displayed on he page. Is it possible to create a gallery, give it a title, and then somehow have that gallery take the place of your root gallery?

I hope I'm not being too confusing...........

dang

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:33 am

Is it possible to create a gallery, give it a title, and then somehow have that gallery take the place of your root gallery?

No, not really since if someone typed in your url they'd end up at a dead page.

However, you can do a lot of things with CSS to help the root gallery
appear like you want. Here's a few options in going about it that I can suggest.
1. Check the style sheets offered in the Pbase Wiki (link at bottom of my posts) for one which you like that might work.
1. Do a forum search (link next to FAQ at top) for users who have style sheets they share.
3. Find a root gallery you like, post the url and we'll see if we can give you the code for the sheet, or tell you what to add to another sheet for the effect.
4. Read through the "sticky" threads in this forum, get Firefox and learn to make your own if you don't know how already.

It may be as simple as placing a small repeatable image in the CSS, and adding a transparent banner within the HTML. Seeing what you're after would help a lot, but
I'll guess you want to match your galleries. So....
You'll need to make an image (gif or jpg) which measures the proper distance that you'd like from the top. It doesn't need to be very wide, say 10 pixels. Then, look in your sheet CSS for this section of code:
Code: Select all
BODY{

background : #464646

After you've made & uploaded the image into a gallery, modify the above to the code below (changing the url to yours) :
Code: Select all
BODY{

background : #464646  url(http://www.pbase.com/YOUR NAME/image/12345678.jpg) fixed repeat-x top left ;

Once done, you simply make your banner and add it into the gallery description as discussed already.

Obviously, this gives you some flexibility in the look. I use black which fades into the gallery page color you can see in my pages.

jmuhrline

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:30 pm

Thanks so much for your patients and help. Here is the URL for one of my gallery pages.
http://www.pbase.com/jmuhrline/black__white

Across the top is a title bar with the words Black & White on the right side. I'd like to have this same bar with my name on the right, running across the top of my root gallery. Because this bar is written in the html in the CSS it resizes as the window of the browser is resized. I've found others that have been able to do this, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Your tips are great, I'm just not real sharp when it comes to all this and some of them are a little confusing for me to understand. Sorry, I'm the moron here! Do you think you know what will work?

Thanks again

flemmingbo

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi !

The header is using the H2 class from the stylesheet so in order to format a header exactly like that in your root gallery simply add this to the description box in the root gallery:

<h2>Your name or root gallery header title goes here</h2>

Then be sure to tick the box "using html in description" and update gallery.

Hopefully this works, if not let me know I'll look into it!

regards,

Flemming
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

dang

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:22 pm

Well jeez... of course, Flemming.
That's what happens when I've been up all night!

jmuhrline

Post Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:19 pm

Wow, Flemming........... works perfect. Exactly what I was wanting to do. Dang, my thanks to you too... you had me going in the right direction. You guys are what makes these forums great. It always seems so simple when someone shows you what to do, but it'd never get done if not for people like the two of you being so willing to share your knowledge and help the rest of us out.

Thanks, thanks, and more thanks!

Jack

flemmingbo

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:14 am

Glad it worked ! :D
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

dang

Post Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:00 am

Me too...
Thanks, Flemming.

doady

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:05 am

flemmingbo wrote:Hi !

The header is using the H2 class from the stylesheet so in order to format a header exactly like that in your root gallery simply add this to the description box in the root gallery:

<h2>Your name or root gallery header title goes here</h2>

Then be sure to tick the box "using html in description" and update gallery.

Hopefully this works, if not let me know I'll look into it!

regards,

Flemming

Wow, that is very useful, thanks!

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Adding a title to the root gallery.