Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets HELP PLEASE for a complete newbie

HTML and Style Sheets

HELP PLEASE for a complete newbie

Customize your galleries.
evershine

HELP PLEASE for a complete newbie

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:07 am

Hi All,

Let me start by saying that I have NO clue when it comes to css & html .......NONE!!!!

I have been reading this forum for some time, trying to get my head around it, but just can't seem to grasp this stuff. I have read the "tips to understanding your own css" by Arjunrc and have downloaded firefox and webdev (currently use safari on Imac).

I thought I followed the instructions but clearly I am missing something.

I really liked Flemminbo's front page so I thought I would give this a shot (just for practice). I opened the page in Firefox and looked at the css data. I copied the css data into a new style sheet on my Pbase account and named it "Flemingbo". I then selected that style sheet from my drop down list and hit the update button. When I go back to my gallery the page looks nothing like the flemmingbo page.

I have also tried many other pages and just can't seem to get the same effect. At this point in time I would just be happy to have a centered slideshow with some text to the right (it's a start) but would much prefer a more professional look (such as Flemmings).

I would REALLY appreciate some help with this. If you do have time to reply just remember that I am a COMPLETE novice with any sort of code.

Cheers
Allan

dang

Re: HELP PLEASE for a complete newbie

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:50 am

thrumyeyes wrote:Hi All,

Let me start by saying that I have NO clue when it comes to css & html .......NONE!!!!

I have been reading this forum for some time, trying to get my head around it, but just can't seem to grasp this stuff. I have read the "tips to understanding your own css" by Arjunrc and have downloaded firefox and webdev (currently use safari on Imac).

I thought I followed the instructions but clearly I am missing something.

I really liked Flemminbo's front page so I thought I would give this a shot (just for practice). I opened the page in Firefox and looked at the css data. I copied the css data into a new style sheet on my Pbase account and named it "Flemingbo". I then selected that style sheet from my drop down list and hit the update button. When I go back to my gallery the page looks nothing like the flemmingbo page.

I have also tried many other pages and just can't seem to get the same effect. At this point in time I would just be happy to have a centered slideshow with some text to the right (it's a start) but would much prefer a more professional look (such as Flemmings).

I would REALLY appreciate some help with this. If you do have time to reply just remember that I am a COMPLETE novice with any sort of code.

Cheers
Allan

For your main "root" gallery, and styles such as Flemming is using in his galleries, unless you update your HTML in the gallery descritption, adding a CSS style and just selecting it doesn't do the trick. You need to view the HTML also, copy and modify accordingly. I'd suggest trying something less complicated than Flemmings starting out, since you'll probably end up frustrated. There's numerous threads throughout this forum for adding the slide show, but the best starting points are detailed in the "News Forum" here: http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32091 I know it's a fairly long thread, but checking Admin's responses cuts down reading time quiet a bit.

evershine

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:39 am

Hi Dang and thanks for the reply.

I have actually already managed to insert a slideshow by copying some code that was posted in the forum thread that you recommended (had already read through it) and pasting it into the description box, BUT I just couldn't figure out how to get text next to it and any of the other customisation that I have seen on here.

I don't even really understand your reply ........."unless you update your HTML in the gallery descritption, adding a CSS style and just selecting it doesn't do the trick. You need to view the HTML also, copy and modify accordingly" ......... how/where do I view the html????

Sorry to be a pain.

dang

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:52 am

Hi Allan,
First, asking questions doesn't qualify anyone for "being a pain!" That's one of the ways to learn. :wink:

Viewing the html is the same as viewing the CSS, it's just in a different location in the web developer tools. Just click the "Miscellaneous" tab, and scroll down to "Edit HTML". Once the window pops up, you'll need to scroll down to where it says " <!-- BEGIN user desc --> " to see what's being added to the gallery description.

You can fiddle with it just the same as the CSS while viewing, it doesn't affect the actual code your viewing, so there's nothing you can do to hurt someones gallery. Once you've gotten changes that look right for you, copy and paste into your description. Just be sure the "check here if using html" box under the description is ticked for it to work.

Have fun.

evershine

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:52 pm

Dang,

Thanks again for your help. I'm staring to get this now. I didn't understand that there was another area to look at the html codes. I will continue to experiment and learn what little I can.

Much appreciated!!!

flemmingbo

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:15 am

Hello !

I am glad you like my design ! I am happy to help you if you have any questions etc.

I agree with Dang though, my site was designed by a designer and then I spent a month or so getting the css and html just right in IE, FF and Safari....a LOT of frustrating hours!!!! I suggest you start off with something a lot less simple to learn the joys of css.

All the best,

Flemming
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

photoascoli

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:15 am

Hi
I have the same question - trying to edit the css of a gallery. Dang wrote "Just click the "Miscellaneous" tab, "
-- where is this tab??
Thanks and Happy New Year to all of you in photo land !

Dov

dang wrote:Hi Allan,
First, asking questions doesn't qualify anyone for "being a pain!" That's one of the ways to learn. :wink:

Viewing the html is the same as viewing the CSS, it's just in a different location in the web developer tools. Just click the "Miscellaneous" tab, and scroll down to "Edit HTML". Once the window pops up, you'll need to scroll down to where it says " <!-- BEGIN user desc --> " to see what's being added to the gallery description.

You can fiddle with it just the same as the CSS while viewing, it doesn't affect the actual code your viewing, so there's nothing you can do to hurt someones gallery. Once you've gotten changes that look right for you, copy and paste into your description. Just be sure the "check here if using html" box under the description is ticked for it to work.

Have fun.

dougj

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:14 am

You need to install and enable the "Web Developer" add-on for Fire Fox, this will add a toolbar to FF with several menu items including Miscellaneous.

dang

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:23 am

dougj wrote:You need to install and enable the "Web Developer" add-on for Fire Fox, this will add a toolbar to FF with several menu items including Miscellaneous.

Right, isn't available with IE. Here's the thread with links to install Fire Fox & Web Developer if running Windows: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13408

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets HELP PLEASE for a complete newbie