Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets HTML question from total ignoramus--justifying copy

HTML and Style Sheets

HTML question from total ignoramus--justifying copy

Customize your galleries.
bumblebeedave

HTML question from total ignoramus--justifying copy

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:31 pm

Boy, I hope someone here can help me, because I know absolutely NOTHING about HTML! :(

I've got my photo portfolio posted as part of my galleries and now I've added my resume and some writing samples to the galleries, posting the lengthened text in the "description" area for each gallery. I know PBase was not necessarily designed for this, but given the highly visual content of my work, it seems logical to stay here and post the text portions of it here also so everything is in one place. I've always used the "Black & White" style sheet because it gave me just the look I wanted for the art. You can see the galleries I'm talking about here:

http://www.pbase.com/bumblebeedave/my_portfolio

Now here's my problem. "B&W" also seems to be the only one of the default style sheets that centers the caption and description texts. Every other style sheet jams all the copy up right to the left edge of the gallery window. I'd like to keep using the "B&W" style sheet, but have the caption and description texts justified AND in the middle of the screen, not jammed against the left edge. The resume and writing samples are fairly long, and several people I've sent to the page have told me it's incredibly difficult to read the documents with centered text. It really needs a constant left margin. But I have no idea how to write the HTML, and I can't even find the code for the "B&W" style sheet anywhere to even give it the old college try. The page for modifying or creating my own style sheets doesn't seem to give me access to the code for any of the default pages, and it also seems to assume I already know HTML. I don't!

Can anyone give me the code and tell me what I would need to add? Does anyone else have their own style sheet that keeps the "B&W" look, but solves this problem that they'd be willing to share with me? I'm in the middle of a job search and the last thing I've got time for is to tackle learning raw HTML.

I'm EXTREMELY grateful for any help any one here would be able to give me.

Thanks!

Dave

dang

Re: HTML question from total ignoramus--justifying copy

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:24 am

Hi Dave,
Sorry no one else has answered, and it's taken me so long... I'm not in the forums as much as before. But, lets see if I can help.
If I'm understanding what you're wanting to do, a simple way without changing the CSS in your style sheets would be to use a table within the gallery description. See if this does it for you, just replace the text with yours, and add or remove paragraphs and/or breaks as shown, if needed...
The table width can be adjusted with the % number, and the other spacings you can play with if needed. The text should be justified left within the box, and the center tags before & after the table keep it centered in your page. Just be sure to get the text before & after the < TD> and </TD >.
Code: Select all
<center><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1 width="70%" border=0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD>

<p>Text text text text</p>text text text text text text text text text text
<BR>text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text
text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text<BR>text text text text text text text text text text text<BR>text text text text text text text text text text text text isn't this stuff fun text text text text text text

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></center>

Hope this helps.

bumblebeedave

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi . . . Thanks so much for the advice!

I'm headed out this evening for Halloween fun, but I'll try this script this weekend and see how it works. am I understanding correctly that I should insert my text where you have written "text text text text . . . "?

And the percentage you refer to . . . that's how wide the text block will be in percentage of the width of the box?

What is the <p> text line in comparison to the larger <BR> text block?

Dave

dang

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:10 pm

(-: ˙unɟ ǝʌɐɥ ˙ʞɔǝɥɔ oʇ "sı sɐ" ʎɹǝןןɐƃ ǝɥʇ uı ǝpoɔ ǝɹıʇuǝ ǝɥʇ ǝɔɐןd noʎ ɟı snoıʌqo ǝɯoɔǝq ןןıʍ ǝuo puoɔǝs ǝɥʇ
˙sǝʎ 'uoıʇsǝnb ʇsɹıɟ
'ǝʌɐp ǝɯoɔןǝʍ ɹnoʎ

shawnkraus

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:08 pm

I really have to stop drinking !!!

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets HTML question from total ignoramus--justifying copy