Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets How to change"post a comment" line?

HTML and Style Sheets

How to change"post a comment" line?

Customize your galleries.
mardoli

How to change"post a comment" line?

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:28 pm

Hello everybody and thank you for the possible help.
I’m always trying to understand all the mysterious world of style-sheets.
In this case
http://www.pbase.com/mardoli/fog
I have more or less manages to give my page the appearance I wanted, but there is a missing detail.
I could not find what ID or class detail can allow me to change the appearance of the text
“post a comment”
In the vote container, under the thumbnails table or under the image table.
Vote container allows me only to change the appearance of the line
“vote for this gallery” but the next line “ post a comment” is not affected by the command and it doesn’t change.
I feel a bit silly because I cannot find the way to manage it. Probably it’s in front of my eyes, but I cannot see it.
Any help???
I’m grateful for your attention in all cases.
Marisa
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

rickscustomnursery

Re: How to change"post a comment" line?

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:05 pm

After all the help I've received here, I think I might be able to help at least identify your problem :)
The line in your code where it shows: <span id='voteContainer">, you've closed "span" (</span>) before the link "post a comment". Try closing it after the link and I think it should work for you.

Code: Select all
<DIV class="gallery_comments">
<!-- BEGIN vote comment section -->
<br>
<table border=0 cellspacing = 0 cellpadding=2 width="95%" align=center >
<tr>
<td colspan=2>
<span id="voteContainer"><a href="/mardoli/fog&cmd=vote&t=1231950501" onclick="vote('mardoli', 'fog', '1231950501', 2); return false;">vote for this gallery</a></span> |
<a href="/mardoli/fog&gcmd=add_comment">post a comment</a>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
<!-- END vote comment section -->

If this doesn't work, just ignore me, I'm a CSS newbie :oops:

Debbie

mardoli

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:20 pm

Thank you for the time you dedicated to my problem Debbie, but I cannot edit this part, it’s not my style-sheet script, it’s probably the default PBase one, which, as far as I know cannot be corrected. I don’t know where you have taken this part of script, but it’s not part of my style –sheet.
Can you explain me better, please where you have taken the part of the script you posted as example?
As far as I can read it, it’s not a style-sheet part; it’s an HTLM script, like when one inserts tables in a gallery description or so on.
But I’m very ignorant and maybe simply missed the point.
What I mean to say is that the part you quoted is not in my style sheet, so I cannot edit it.
Best
Marisa
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

alangrant

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:32 pm

Something like the following example should work:

.gallery_comments table a
{ color: yellow; }

#commentlist table a
{ color: red;}

The first half controls the formula of any link that's within a table within the whole gallery_comments DIV. That should be enough to get the "post a comment" line the way you want it. However, on its own it would also change the format of any links with the comments table itself. If you want to control those separately, the second part will allow you to do so - this relies on the fact that the "post a comment line" is within the gallery_comments div but not the commentlist div.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

rickscustomnursery

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Marisa, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about (Flemming and Dang where are you?) :wink: . After playing around with my CSS for hours on end, I used this method to coax a few things in my own galleries. Edit your gallery and in the description box copy and paste the following:
<!-- BEGIN vote comment section -->
<br>
<table border=0 cellspacing = 0 cellpadding=2 width="95%" align=center >
<tr>
<td colspan=2>
<span id="voteContainer"><a href="/mardoli/fog&cmd=vote&t=1231950501" onclick="vote('mardoli', 'fog', '1231950501', 2); return false;">vote for this gallery</a> |
<a href="/mardoli/fog&gcmd=add_comment">post a comment</a></span>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
<!-- END vote comment section -->

Try it and see if that works, if not all you have to do is edit the description again and remove it. Just remember to "refresh" if it doesn't display properly at first, "been there, done that" :)

Debbie

mardoli

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:30 am

alangrant wrote:Something like the following example should work:

#commentlist table a

The first half controls the formula of any link that's within a table within the whole gallery_comments DIV. That should be enough to get the "post a comment" line the way you want it. However, on its own it would also change the format of any links with the comments table itself. If you want to control those separately, the second part will allow you to do so - this relies on the fact that the "post a comment line" is within the gallery_comments div but not the commentlist div.

Thank you 1.000.000.000.000 times , Alan!
It was exactly what I was looking for.
Now I can exactly do what I intended to do and I have also learnt something more, which I'll keep in mind for the future.

Have a nice day.
Marisa
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

mardoli

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:07 am

alangrant wrote:Something like the following example should work:

#commentlist table a

Hi Alan!
I have managed to apply your clever suggestion and it works perfectly, but only for the thumbnails page.
I realized that in the single Image page the appearance of the fonts for “vote this image” and “post a comment” had not changed.
So I tried with that
#voteContainer
{
color: #545972;
font-family:verdana;
font-size:12px;
font-weight: bold;
}

and it allowed me to correct the appearence of the line "vote this image"
but didn't affect the line "post a comment" in the image page
I suppose I should do something similar to what you suggested for the thumbnails page...but what?
Actually it's not important, it's just a little detail, but I like learning, so it's not that the style sheet of the gallery the way it is now disturbs me and prevents me from sleeping :wink: , but I simply like understanding and learning.
Thank you for all in all cases
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

flemmingbo

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Hi everyone,

The "Post a comment" on image pages is next to impossible to style properly - as it simply doesn't have a css class! I spent a lot of time trying to style it myself, specifcally I want it moved from it's position.

But with nothing, simply no class at all, no div or table tags or anything - ya can't style "post a comment" differently from standard text on the page.

Flemming
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

mardoli

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:21 pm

flemmingbo wrote:Hi everyone,

The "Post a comment" on image pages is next to impossible to style properly - as it simply doesn't have a css class! I spent a lot of time trying to style it myself, specifcally I want it moved from it's position.

But with nothing, simply no class at all, no div or table tags or anything - ya can't style "post a comment" differently from standard text on the page.

Flemming

Flemming you are the virtual knight of the Web who arrives in a shining armour of HTLM to relieve my suffering!
Not only you nearly always can help me to solve my doubts in the most effective way, but even when it’s not possible you cheer me up giving me the impression I’m nearly clever, since you comfort me about my attempts, confirming that it was really impossible to do that.
I have tried to attribute to it all possible class, but then I concluded that either I was stupid or it had not any...
You definitely make me feel less stupid.
Thank you!
M.
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

flemmingbo

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 am

Marisa, thanks so much, that's so nice of you! I am just happy to help :D As a virtual knight :D
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets How to change"post a comment" line?