Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Sudden Font Problems in Internet Explorer

HTML and Style Sheets

Sudden Font Problems in Internet Explorer

Customize your galleries.
ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Re: Sudden Font Problems in Internet Explorer

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:54 pm

I broke this I'm sorry I'll fix it right away...

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:14 pm

Should be fixed now, if you wanna know what was wrong I'll leave you with this riddle:

What is in common with the following 2 lines of html?
Code: Select all
<font class="someclass">blah blah</font>
<a href="someurl" onclick="alert('javascript time')">click me</a>

PS: I figured you guys would enjoy a brainteaser, I'm pretty sure someone will have the answer within a reasonable amount of time. If not I don't mind telling you guys the answer but that's no fun!

dang

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:37 pm

ckirby wrote:Should be fixed now, if you wanna know what was wrong I'll leave you with this riddle:

What is in common with the following 2 lines of html?
Code: Select all

PS: I figured you guys would enjoy a brainteaser, I'm pretty sure someone will have the answer within a reasonable amount of time. If not I don't mind telling you guys the answer but that's no fun!

Chuckle...
In my case you're assuming too much, I've been brain dead for years!
Outside of the obvious, I'm assuming you're saying we can redirect and run scripts...
But wouldn't that be possible with any link? So, I give up. :oops:

gpmerfeld

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:47 pm

CKirby,
I gotta say, after more than 6 hours of changing and then re-changing the code in every one of my gallery descriptions, I am not quite up to the giggles of your brain teaser. You threw the "=" baby out with the bathwater in another java script elimination panic which really made a mess for some of us...

Apology accepted, but still shaking my head...

flemmingbo

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Glad we got it worked out :D

My take on the brain teaser:
CKirby, were you by any chance searching for "on" within < brackets and then inserting a space in the hope of catching onclick commands? :)

Flemming
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 pm

gpmerfeld wrote:CKirby,
I gotta say, after more than 6 hours of changing and then re-changing the code in every one of my gallery descriptions, I am not quite up to the giggles of your brain teaser. You threw the "=" baby out with the bathwater in another java script elimination panic which really made a mess for some of us...

Apology accepted, but still shaking my head...

Luckily it appears PBase users are a trustworthy bunch because we haven't gotten a slew of emails from users complaining about their accounts getting hacked (as far as I know we haven't got any). It is obvious that some of our users have the agency but not the will to do just that (javascript is so ridiculously insecure it isn't even funny). I shouldn't have posted that riddle, of course you guys are annoyed and not in the mood.

becomes
<fon t class="someclass">blah blah</font>

becomes
<a href="someurl" on click="alert('javascript time')">click me</a>

The red text is what is in common with those 2 lines. As you can see, after 'on' I add a space to break the javascript. The side effect was font tags with an equal sign somewhere in there got screwed up too. It was a dumb mistake by me, but at least you guys said something so it would get fixed.

Just noticed flemming's post, as you can see the answer is yes (although there has to be an equal sign in there too).

flemmingbo

Post Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:23 pm

I for one am very happy that javascript is banned so people can browse Pbase safely. Thanks for noticing this thread Ckirby and correcting the little accidental error quickly.

best regards

Flemming
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

Previous

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Sudden Font Problems in Internet Explorer