Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Shopping Cart

HTML and Style Sheets

Shopping Cart

Customize your galleries.
romansphotos

Shopping Cart

Post Sun May 16, 2004 9:16 pm

People are beginning to purchase my photos, and I would like info on how to attach somthing like a paypal account, and a purchase option to my gallery......

I am a technician by trade....so I am used to absorbing complex things....but I have NO HTML experience at all.

Maybe a resource...or some pre-made templates would be great.

Roman

http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos

arjunrc

Post Sun May 16, 2004 9:47 pm

One method I am aware of is to link paypal scripts to your page via HTML. Paypal allows you to insert buttons what will directly link to your paypal account.

You may want to see http://www.pbase.com/zylen as an example. You will however ,have to study HTML for it.

regds
arjun

shaun

Post Wed May 26, 2004 3:03 pm

arjunrc wrote:One method I am aware of is to link paypal scripts to your page via HTML. Paypal allows you to insert buttons what will directly link to your paypal account.

You may want to see http://www.pbase.com/zylen as an example. You will however ,have to study HTML for it.

regds
arjun

You don't have to study html to do it. I certainly didn't & my Paypal shopping cart works just great.

danielc

Post Mon May 31, 2004 7:19 am

take a look at:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... ro-outside

i implemented it on my site, works great. you must have a paypal account though :p

good luck

msgattis

I am new to all this stuff.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:26 am

Where do you enter the HTML coding when PayPal writes it for you. Do you enter it under the discriptors for each photo.

Sorry for asking such a stupid question

vincentvalle

Re: I am new to all this stuff.

Post Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:44 pm

msgattis wrote:Where do you enter the HTML coding when PayPal writes it for you. Do you enter it under the discriptors for each photo.

Sorry for asking such a stupid question

Not a silly question at all! I was just going to ask that! Does PayPal give you the html?

Is it possible to designate just one section for your "shots for selling" and keep others for just sharing?

I want to start selling my shots too but not sure where to start. I was also going to ask if anyone could suggest the best paper to use with the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 and is it acceptable to sell photos printed on this?

arjunrc

Post Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:40 pm

vincentvalle wrote:Not a silly question at all! I was just going to ask that! Does PayPal give you the html?

Is it possible to designate just one section for your "shots for selling" and keep others for just sharing?

I want to start selling my shots too but not sure where to start. I was also going to ask if anyone could suggest the best paper to use with the Epson Stylus Photo 2200 and is it acceptable to sell photos printed on this?

1. Yes, paypal has a "wizard" that automatically generates code for you to be able to add the 'Add to Cart' or 'Buy now' buttons to your website. As I mentioned before, its better (though not necessary) to know what you are doing. You could blindly insert what paypal generates, but then its also very easy to make mistakes if you are doing it in bulk for a lot of images.

2. You need to insert the HTML code into your own site. For example, if you were doing it in pbase, typically, you would insert the HTML code in the description of the image (In pbase, Edit Image -> and insert the HTML code in the caption box)

3. Yes, it is possible for you to add this for only one image. Simply add the HTML code to that image page.

4. With respect to printing, Ive personally found it more economical to use pro labs for printing rather than doing my own (esp. for large prints). Sites like whcc.com offer very attractive prices for prints and the quality is simply amazing. Pro labs also provide mechanisms for calibration control, so you can ensure your prints come out as close as possible to what you see

5. To start, see
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm ... ng-outside

regds
arjun

charette

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:46 am

arjunrc is correct. However, I found that it was best to use the "wizard" to generate the first button and then standardize your format. (see my galleries for examples.) Once you have standardize the look you can easily cut and paste your coding from one image to the next. All you need do is simply change the image name (one small peice of text within the coding.)

Using the caption for each image is the best place to insert the Paypal button code. I would encourage you to build your own look and feel using html coding and stylesheet elements. I found the <h4> headline tag is not used by pbase so you can incorporate that into your standardize block of code.

This is probably more detail than you were looking for; hopefully by visiting my galleries you'll get a better sense of it. BTW, sales are mostly generated by personal contacts you have made and seldom from random visits. You'll note that I have started small... providing only a few print options to test my workflow and market. Larger print options can be added later once I have secured a good relationship with a vendor.

Arjunrc, thanks for the info on White House Custom Colours. You may also want to look at JumboGiant.com as well as several others on the web.

Cheers. -- LC

Last edited by charette on Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vincentvalle

ThankS1

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:35 am

Thanks so much! all your information was wonderful! I have another question...

May I ask how sales are? do you print your own and send them? Can you tell us a little about your process?

Vince

arjunrc

Re: ThankS1

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:34 pm

vincentvalle wrote:May I ask how sales are? do you print your own and send them? Can you tell us a little about your process?
Vince

Most people I have seen (including myself) get the images printed from their favourite labs and have that mailed across to the client. Many processes are pretty simple:
1. customer browses the site, clicks on image s/he likes, adds to card
& orders it
2. money gets transferred to your bank via paypal
3. We initiate prints after the money gets transferred
4. The print arrives in about a week
5. You ship it to the customer

Notes:
a) Some labs allow direct shipping to the customer (eg ezprints.com).
You can choose to directly ship. I personally dont - I guess I am a little paranoid - I want to make sure that all the prints are checked for defects - there is nothing worse than shipping a print and the customer coming back with "what on earth did you send ?"
b) Some people dont provide online shopping carts - they just provide an email for contact. Which method you choose is upto you

Best of luck
regds
arjun

arjunrc

Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:38 pm

charette wrote:arjunrc is correct. However, I found that it was best to use the "wizard" to generate the first button and then standardize your format.
<snip>
Arjunrc, thanks for the info on White House Custom Colours. You may also want to look at JumboGiant.com as well as several others on the web.

Cheers. -- LC

charette, I agree that its much simpler to use the wizard only once and then change the fields yourself going forward. Thats exactly what I did.
Thanks for the reference to jumbogiant : I did try them before. My personal opinion is that whcc produces the best color calibration amongstofoto, jumbogiant, ezprints and whcc.

regds
arjun

charette

Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:58 am

arjunrc wrote:Thanks for the reference to jumbogiant : I did try them before. My personal opinion is that whcc produces the best color calibration amongstofoto, jumbogiant, ezprints and whcc.

arjun, thanks for the info. I have just uploaded images to whcc to test their service. Much appreciated. -- LC

john2004_1

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:02 pm

To romansphotos.

On my opionion, it's good to setup shopping cart. Most shopping carts has gateways to Paypal, major credit card charging systems.

John
ExtCart Shopping Cart Software

worldbuilder

Post Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:20 pm

Hello,

There are many shopping cart scripts out there which can easily be attached to any site. Set up accounts with Amex, Visa, etc and then setup a shopping cart script. There are MANY sites on the web that offer scripts like this.

Check out http://www.hotscripts.com/search/665107.html for a few.

If you google for "shopping cart script" you will get too many results to count.

I would do that over a PayPal only setup. They're not very expensive and will make your site a true e-commerce site.

HTH,

Chris

arjunrc

Post Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:08 am

worldbuilder wrote:Hello,

There are many shopping cart scripts out there which can easily be attached to any site. Set up accounts with Amex, Visa, etc and then setup a shopping cart script. There are MANY sites on the web that offer scripts like this.

Check out http://www.hotscripts.com/search/665107.html for a few.

If you google for "shopping cart script" you will get too many results to count.

I would do that over a PayPal only setup. They're not very expensive and will make your site a true e-commerce site.

HTH,

Chris

Indeed, what you say is true with respect to a wide variety of options. The only problem is that pbase provides very limited support to add such options. Specifically, if you are looking at adding a shopping cart on a per-photo-basis, you only have access to inserting HTML code (and very limited javascript).

regds
arjun

Next

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Shopping Cart