Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Having photos display full size (for browser) ?

HTML and Style Sheets

Having photos display full size (for browser) ?

Customize your galleries.
bostonrott

Having photos display full size (for browser) ?

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:39 pm

In reading another thread, I saw that Shy Cohen's photos open to almost full size in the browser window. Here is an example: http://www.pbase.com/shy_cohen/image/121087434

This is absolutely beautiful! Is this done in HTML or CSS? In looking at the codes, I'm guessing it's CSS.

Is this the code (in green) which does it?

.thumbnails{
border: #000000 1px solid;
padding: 4px 4px 4px 4px;
margin: 4px 0px 0px 0px;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;

width: 900px;
background: #343434;
position: relative;

mardoli

Re: Having photos display full size (for browser) ?

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:03 pm

Hello again!
I’m afraid that this time I cannot fully understand what you mean, because if you look at your own photo, for example this one
http://www.pbase.com/bostonrott/image/119939829
it seem to me it gets open exactly like the one you mentioned
http://www.pbase.com/shy_cohen/image/121087434
The code in green you copied has absolutely nothing to do with the image display.
What gives the appearance to the page with an image display is the CSS, you can choose if you want any border, or table background, colours and so on, but you cannot change the size of the image which is related to the original you uploaded.
It means that if you uploaded a very large picture, and you select to see it in original size, it will fill all your screen and you’ll have to scroll either horizontally or vertically to see it.
If you uploaded a very small picture, you won’t see it bigger than the original you uploaded in any way.
Usually PBase recognizes as standard dimension a picture which has as maximum size 800px, it means that if you upload a picture which is of that dimension ( 800px for the longest side) the original will coincide with the large size.
I apologize for my incorrect way to use English which is not my mother tongue, in my explanations and I trust you can guess what I mean.
If you wish to get the part of CSS code which controls the Image display section, I’ll be glad to give it to you.
Let me know.
All the best
Marisa
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

mardoli

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:34 pm

bostonrott wrote:In reading another thread, I saw that Shy Cohen's photos open to almost full size in the browser window. Here is an example: http://www.pbase.com/shy_cohen/image/121087434

This is absolutely beautiful! Is this done in HTML or CSS? In looking at the codes, I'm guessing it's CSS.

Is this the code (in green) which does it?

.thumbnails{
border: #000000 1px solid;
padding: 4px 4px 4px 4px;
margin: 4px 0px 0px 0px;

width: 900px;
background: #343434;

A code which might control your open photo appearance is this one
Code: Select all
#image{
border:  #000000 2px solid;
padding-top:60px;
padding-bottom:30px;
width:95%;
background:  transparent;
}
.display{
border: 2px solid  #ffffff;

}

Of corse you can change colours and dimensions according to your tastes.

I hope to have answered at least partially your question.

Marisa
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

bostonrott

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:40 pm

Marisa,

Thank you again for your time and help! :) When I look at the photo (of mine) that you linked to, it opens pretty large, but there is still maybe 5-7cm on either side of the screen that is black (background color). I do not see the photo going to the edge of my screen (or almost to the edge). When I looked at Shy Cohen's photo, it runs almost to the side edges of my browser screen.

When I am down-sizing photos for the web, I usually have the longest side at 11 inches, and a resolution of 85px/inch, so that would be 935px on the long side. I don't have any particular reason for doing this......just a randomly chosen number (11"). :)

I will play with this more this afternoon (after I get my kids to bed for nap!) and see if I can figure it out a bit more. I just really like having the photo fill the whole frame. Shy Cohen's photo has a very small border at the edges, maybe 5-10px of background color, but definitely displays larger to me. I am using Firefox 3.5.7 and Windows (XP or Vista, depending which computer I use).

mardoli

Post Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:44 pm

I think I have understood.
When you open Shy’s photo you open it at original size, if you look under his photo you’ll see the options small, medium, large and original.
I do think you have selected the original version and Shy uploaded it in a dimension that fits your screen.
But if you select the option “large” you’ll see it like your photo.

It has nothing to do with CSS, it depends simply on the size of the original photo which was uploaded.

The majority of photos on Pbase are uploaded at PBase standard size, that is 800px.
There is not any way to enlarge them ;^))

Of course you can upload your photos in a large size so they can fill the screen in original version, but consider that the standard size of Pbase would not be your original, but in that case the large one, always 800 px and the greatest majority of people would see them in that 800 px format.
Of course you can suggest your visitors to select the original version.

I hope it can help.

Marisa
ImageImage
~Oscar Wilde~

bostonrott

Post Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:59 am

Ok, that makes sense, thank you! :) I will stop filling up extra space in my galleries with overly large photos (greater than 800px)! :lol: :lol:

So far, I've gotten my galleries condensed down to a few main ones, and formatting changed. It's going slowly but this is fun to learn, and to work on. Thank you VERY much for your help! :D

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Having photos display full size (for browser) ?