Board index PBase Show and Tell 45 st Show and tell competition

Show and Tell

45 st Show and tell competition

Announce and discuss your photos.
billinchapelhill

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:17 am

Last edited by billinchapelhill on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

rotaford

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:23 am

rileypm

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:52 am

The contest rules say that the photos must be hosted on pbase. It does not mention ownership of the photos. I would think that if pbase administrators are good with honeybeejoy posting copyrighted photos owned by someone else then we shouldn't argue. If we are so bent out of shape by the fact that honeybeejoy did not actually take the photo herself, then we should change the contest rules. But the rules for this contest should not be changed in the middle. Please wait until contest #47, or #48, etc.

The rules don't even say that the entries must by submitted by a paying pbase supporter. There is something else for everyone to bicker about.

jdepould

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:56 am

Nikon D300, D200
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D, 55mm f/1.4 micro, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G DX, 80-200 f/2.8D
Apple PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro
Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop CS3

mirko79

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:54 am

jar_o_raws

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:04 am

erichmangl

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:08 am

deaconsc wrote:Just that something needs to be said.

and what stopped you from using your real account ? nobody should give anything about whining from a wimp

dougj

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:49 am

Models are not artists, they are models, and the subjects with which artists capture and present a feeling, emotion, mood, abstract, statement, etc.

Artists work with what they see, through their eye, lens or hands, and their skill with their chosen medium. Photographers, painters, sculptures are several examples of artists.

Pbase is a site that is focused on photography, with virtually all images captured and presented by photographers. I respect models as a key element of some areas of photography, yet IMHO I do not consider them artists in this respect, when they are soley the object of an artist.

I’m interested in my definition of the artist’s perspective, and his/her skills. Other opinions will vary.

Having made my politically incorrect statement, following are my 3 submissions. None of these are sexy or naked, but what I saw and tried to capture, was the beauty of our human spirit. These images are rather poor in quality, but I did my best at the time.

In the spirit of the contest rules, I consider these ladies elegant, but from a perspective different from their physical beauty.

I've added a bit of narrative, soley to communicate what I saw and tried to capture.

Vietnam - How much has she seen and lost in her life, and her smile tells of her happiness today and her wizened influence on tomorrow.

On the road from Chiang Mai to Doi Angkhan in Northern Thailand, low IQ shot for sure. These people are incredibly poor, by any standard. I was moved by the brilliant smile of the young lad, and the pleasure his mother expressed and how this will help shape the future.

New Asia – A runway shot in Singapore

EDIT: adjusted size to medium.

455rocket

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:22 pm

dougj wrote:Models are not artists, they are models, and the subjects with which artists capture and present a feeling, emotion, mood, abstract, statement, etc.
Artists work with what they see, through their eye, lens or hands, and their skill with their chosen medium. Photographers, painters, sculptures are several examples of artists. .........

Could you explain to me how you know the models aren't artists and how much or little input they have into the final image other than their form? I see it as a collaboration between artist and model and the ratio of input from the model can vary from almost a self portrait at one extreme where the model could merely for convenience just ask someone to press the shutter at their request but is responsible for 100% of the creativity..... to a candid shot where the model has no intentional creative input.

dougj

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:41 pm

@455rocket

You did well in extracting only a section of my post, and to provide a comment that would be appropriate if this was all I posted. I suggest you reread my post in its entirety, I believe the third sentence of my post addresses the essence of your comment.

I agree that a model may have a significant influence in the creativity of a capture, but this is somewhat rare IMO. Do you have some examples of Pbase work in which the model should be considered the driving force behind creativity, and thus be called the artist?

downsouthstories

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:32 pm

Will you guys get a life!

Mike :roll:

455rocket

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:32 pm

dougj wrote:@455rocket
You did well in extracting only a section of my post, and to provide a comment that would be appropriate if this was all I posted. I suggest you reread my post in its entirety, I believe the third sentence of my post addresses the essence of your comment.

I agree that a model may have a significant influence in the creativity of a capture, but this is somewhat rare IMO. Do you have some examples of Pbase work in which the model should be considered the driving force behind creativity, and thus be called the artist?

I have done relatively little female model photography but in all that I have done the model has been a major contributor to the final product in terms of artistic input.... perhaps I've been spoiled and without my model I'd have nothing. :D
I will post some pictures in this contest when I have decided which to post.

phil_stubbs

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Guys,

whilst the discussions about this may be valid can we please take them to another thread. This is meant to be a contest thread, the winning image was a worthy winner and the subject chosen for this contest is great.

Lets live and let live and allow this contest to run with out further interruption.

Cheers

Phil

ernst

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:56 pm

@ Phil: Hear, hear!

mboimare

Re: 45 st Show and tell competition

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:31 pm

Candid shot of my love listening music (She is a musician)

http://www.pbase.com/mboimare/image/70073281.jpg

Candide shot of my beautiful sister

http://www.pbase.com/mboimare/image/70073306.jpg

My love cooking

http://www.pbase.com/mboimare/image/70465060.jpg

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Show and Tell 45 st Show and tell competition