Show and Tell

68th Show and Tell competition: STEPS

Announce and discuss your photos.
colinb3469

Here's a couple

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:21 pm

c_schweizer

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:10 am

Dear applicants to the 68th Show and tell competition, the period to contribute entries for evaluation has now ended. Further entries will not be regarded in the evaluation. I thank all applicants for their contributions and am thrilled to evaluate your entries. I shall present the short list of elections by 21 December 12.00 pm. With best regards, Claudia

c_schweizer

68th Show and Tell competition: STEPS

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:23 am

I have now made my decision for the short list of this week's competition, and - regarding the 4 criteria announced in my first post - I chose 10 images for this list, which will be shortly commented in chronological order. Klicking onto the images will show you the originals.

Tim van Woensel has given a powerful example of two antique feet coming from the unknown and making one step forward. The antiquity of these feet transfers the observer into a far past, but at the same time lets him consider the immediate future these two feet are stepping into. An intriguing combination of two time dimensions, nicely executed in a simple but interpretable and persuading composition.

Enrico Martinuzzi's image 'Greek lines I' intrigues by the simplicity and clarity of its composition: three steps, only the middle one presented as a whole, the other two seen either from the side or from above. In the background the vast blue sea, contrasting the gray and the limits of the stairs, thus harmonising the whole scene. Here it is predominantly the artistic execution that is winning the observer.

Randall Fox is giving a very straight forward example of horse steps, left as traces on sandy ground. The image is very expressive, almost provocative, giving the observer the impression that the horse might jump into his face the very next moment. It is this impressive explicitness that atracts the observer's interest.

A more symbolic touch is provided by Andres Sanchez image above ('Piazza San Marco'). Dry steps, giving your feet a firm ground, change into slippery moss-coated steps that finally lead into the plane water. These steps can be interpreted as successive phases of life, leading from the secure childhood into the risks of adolescence before the final jump into adult life. This is just one possible interpretation, there are others too, which I leave to your imagination. The composition is perfect, and so is the technical execution.

Terry Bowker has been inspired by the very tempting and elegant design of a staircase in the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago. He chose an excellent composition, allowing the observer a clear overview of the design. B&W is the appropriate choice for this presentation, and the tonality with the two spot lights is perfect.

Likewise intriguing are Tim O'Donoghue's 'Stairs at Chinooks'. Although totally different in shape, composition and lighting, I can see some relation to Terry Bowker's image. Also here we find the extravagance in design and shape meeting with excellent B&W tones, here a fantastic exposure and light performance on the stairs has to be stated. The dynamic range is remarkable.

In Brad Troy's 'U.S. Supreme Court Columns and Stairs #2' we have a younger version of the first image on the list - the one from Tim van Woensel. Let me explain this: T. van Woensel referred in his image to antique greek steps. Brad Troy, though, is referring to a building from the 19th century, yet the columns try to reconstruct an old Roman or Greek temple. Thus, these columns point into the past, accentuating the upleading steps as parts of a historical building, or - consequently - as parts of history. This context makes the observer wonder: Who are the people, who have climbed up these steps in the long timespace of history? Brad Troy has found a powerful setup to attach substantial architectural elements to the impact of the history, they are referring to. Again, presence and past as two dimensions of time, get effectfully linked to each other. The picture is not B&W, there are discrete coloured textures at the wall, although greyshades are dominating. The whole composition is airing firmness and harmony.

Stuart JR's steps from Santorini attracted my interests by the remarkable game and alternation of shades and light, unterpinning the image's pattern of reiterations. Also here I can see some symbolic background to the composition: With each step the dark and the light of a moment has to be overcome, an interpretation, which finds some support by the blue handrail attached to the wall. The chosen perspective is excellent, emphasising the diagonal, which makes the stairs appear longer in size. The composition and perspective both perfectly match the message of the image.

An obvious but nonetheless powerful interpretation is offered by Peter Voets 'The steep way up'. The orange gowns of these Indian monchs attract the observer's eye immediately to the essential of the image: the hurdles taken to climb up into higher spheres, which are yet not shown. The symbolic message is highly visible. All needless elements are eliminated. This image is a fantastically elaborated representation of the religious mission behind it.

Different in its elaboration is Lawrence Ang's more touristic version of the topic. Note, that here the observer is permitted to actually see the higher spheres that everyone tries to reach, encouraged by the inviting smile of a tourist lady, who has 'made it'. The whole image is brightly coloured by the tourists' clothes, evoking the impression, that the whole hurdle to climb up the stairs is considered an interesting and enjoyable excursion rather than the execution of a religious command. It thus adds to the symbolism behind the image an ironical, almost amusing, touch.

There you are. It has not been easy to chose the short list. Many images that have not been regarded are yet remarkable in their way, and it will always be a torture to perform justice here, as in my opinion the standards in Pbase are generally high and sound. But this is what makes the competitions really thrilling and intriguing!
Thank you again for all your contributions, and give me please another day to chose the winners! Cheers, Claudia

robertl594

Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:22 am

mess131

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:05 am

joeandrebecca

Late entry.

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:27 am

I submitted these after the deadline, so I know they don't count. But here they are anyway.

These are the infamous stairs that appeared in the movie, The Exorcist. The movie was filmed in the Georgetown neighborhood of Washington, D.C. I like this photograph because a man who actually looks like the exorcist started walking up the stairs as I was taking the photograph. He paused momentarily, I snapped the picture, and he walked back down the stairs. Maybe he is the exorcist.

Winding stairs inside Currituck Beach lighthouse, Outer Banks of North Carolina

Stepping across a snow-covered bridge

Steps leading up to Boot Hill, where gunfighters were buried with their boots on. Ogallala, Nebraska

Steps leading to the Prague Castle

Steps designed by Michelangelo

Spanish Steps, Rome

mkrauss

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:02 pm

Steps into Night (original at http://www.pbase.com/mkrauss/image/90901749)

Steps in the Old City (Original at http://www.pbase.com/mkrauss/image/89845911)

Steps into Bahi'a (Original at http://www.pbase.com/mkrauss/image/89969908)

greenbunion

Avebury, England

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:58 pm

downsouthstories

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:35 am

crazysherpa

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:26 am

My First Post ...

morganommer

Staircase and R&R

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:57 am

[url]=http://www.pbase.com/morganommer/image/34871793Image[/url][/img]