Board index PBase Show and Tell Winners of the 107th Show&Tell Competition: Draws You In

Show and Tell

Winners of the 107th Show&Tell Competition: Draws You In

Announce and discuss your photos.
kzaret

Winners of the 107th Show&Tell Competition: Draws You In

Post Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:29 pm

Thanks everyone for submitting such excellent images in the middle of a busy holiday season. There were many images with strong backgrounds, and some with strong foregrounds, but I was looking for images that contained both and where foreground and background played off one another. Images seemed to fall into classes:

THESE IMAGES BENEFIT FROM VIEWING IN LARGE SIZE; PLEASE CLICK ON THEM FOR THAT.

Roads, tracks:

Jeroen Bosman:

Markus Grompe:

Bring you in from the top:

Juan Leon:

Jasja van Leeuwen:

Unusual interpretation:

Peter Stubley:

Shadows:

Peter Stubley:

Additional honorable mentions:

J Rayner:
[urlhttp://www.pbase.com/raynerj/image/89464954]Image[/url]

Sandi Whitaker:

Andrewd_za (must be seen as larger image):

Joe Marquez: (again, please click to see larger image):

Jeroen Bosman:

Finalists:

While the first two of these have repetitive elements in the foreground, I felt that they were distinctive enough in terms of catching the eye and leading me deep into the picture, where other elements maintained my interest.

Third place: Terry Bowlker. This is a perfect travel image; draws you in and leads you to a foreign land:

Second place: Dennis Camp. This one must be viewed large to appreciate the brilliance and color of the light on the tracks in the foreground. Well seen Dennis!

Jaac: The sheer creativity of vision and power of this image truly depict for me how photography can draw you into another world. The image also represents how much beauty can be wrested from the mundane; a crowded street in a typical residential section of a city or town. This could be taken anywhere. Also, the streaks in the sky add to the composition. At 1/4000s they can't be planes; I don't know what they are, but they work.

Jaac: the next contest is up to you!

terrybowker

Re: Winners of the 107th Show&Tell Competition: Draws You In

Post Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:49 pm

Wonderful job Ken! Congratulations to all!!

steve_nelson

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:38 am

Great images! Well done guys!

akmc_in_au

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:18 am

Mmm, I imagine that all of the entries would benefit from being viewed at their original size, if one bothers to take the time to do so.

Congratulations to the winners; there were some fine entries in this competition.

fishit

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:33 am

akmc_in_au wrote:Mmm, I imagine that all of the entries would benefit from being viewed at their original size, if one bothers to take the time to do so.
Congratulations to the winners; there were some fine entries in this competition.

I was lucky to be chosen and I looked at all full size, you really have to.
Ken made a good choice as winner, maybe not based on med size, but that is not the idea.
I feel you have to look at all full size and it does not take that long, mine looks like poop med size.
This is just Ken's feelings, but the thread is all sharing works for a chance to catch someone's eye, for fun.
Cost PBase nothing and it is purely subjective as is all photography art.

akmc_in_au

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:21 am

fishit wrote:
akmc_in_au wrote:Mmm, I imagine that all of the entries would benefit from being viewed at their original size, if one bothers to take the time to do so.

I was lucky to be chosen and I looked at all full size, you really have to.
Ken made a good choice as winner, maybe not based on med size, but that is not the idea.

You and I are saying exactly the same thing, actually. I agree with you completely with regard to the medium size not being suitable for judging. That's why an assiduous judge (one who takes the responsibility along with the honour that goes with winning) will always ensure that he or she takes the time to look at each entry in full size, even if that may take some time.

dapascha

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:21 pm

Great choice for a winner (in full size too!) and thanks for giving me a mention!

jaac

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Wow! Thanks Ken, didn't expect that :-) once again many great entrants to the competition.

Ken the streaks in the sky are vapour trails from jet planes. I recently printed this image and have it hanging on one of my walls. :-)

I'm now thinking of a subject for the next challenge, i'll post it as soon as i can, most likely to be tomorrow morning.

andrewd_za

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:04 pm

Thank you for the HM - and well done to jaac and the runners up.

Best wishes to all at Pbase for 2009

Andrew

hiero

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:36 pm

Honoured to be mentioned here. And Jaac, indeed a great winning image. Congratulations!

Best all,
Jeroen
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

jlben

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:43 pm

Thank you for the HM Ken, and congratulation to the winner.

Best wishes for all!

Juan

thesmokingcamera

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:40 am

Thanks Ken and congratulations to all.

Board index PBase Show and Tell Winners of the 107th Show&Tell Competition: Draws You In