Board index PBase Show and Tell 141st Show & Tell Competition: Teaching - WINNER

Show and Tell

141st Show & Tell Competition: Teaching - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
pstubley

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:20 pm

Thanks to all who participated in my first chance to do a Show&Tell topic. I did not get a huge number of entries (which means it was either a lame idea or very challenging -- I, of course, believe it was the latter ;) ), but I did get more than enough to make it a real challenge to pick a winner. And not having a huge number of entries is actually not so bad: life is a little busy right now, what with a new girlfriend recently moved in and a ton of renovating going on at the same time!

Enough whining: on to the results. There were several excellent entries that seemed to be more about learning than teaching: I was most drawn to the images that had both a student and teacher, I think because it gave more of sense of story.

For the honourable mentions, in no particular order:

I of course have to mention "Getting ready to dive with Turtle Bay," given how much underwater photography I do:

There were several good entries with animals, including Bill's "bite tug" (I'm not sure who's learning what, but it definitely made me laugh):

and Brad's "You are not the alpha":

Dennis Camp's "Cold metal transfer" deserves an honourable mention for sure: beautifully sharp and definitely satisfying my craving for striking light.

And my last honourable mention goes to ATucker for "Class." We don't see any of the students faces, but their poses say everything, and the composition of the teacher framed in the gap is very nicely done.

I could not make a final decision for 3rd place, so I cheated and declared a tie, for Tsienni and Aaron.

Aaron's image is not the fanciest image ever, but it tells a great story, which is everything we want a candid to do.

And Tsienni's image (which I think is from one of my favorite museums) is also very expressive. I'm not a big fan of blur in photos, but here it adds to the story.

For second place, I chose Juan's image of the "discussion" between father and son. All of Juan's entries were excellent, but this one was the most unusual and the most expressive.

And finally, for the winner, I chose Jim Critchley's "studying":

Again, all 3 of his entries were excellent, but this one is the one that drew me the most: the main subjects definitely tell a story, the composition is excellent, and there is enough in the background to draw the eye further without being busy.

Thanks again to everyone who participated, and congratulations to Jim. Excellent work all around.

Peter
Last edited by pstubley on Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlben

Re: 141st Show & Tell Competition: Teaching - WINNER

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:35 am

Thank you very much for the 2nd place Peter :D

terrybowker

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:46 am

Congratulations Jim! Congratulations to all of the other winners as well, very nice images!

Cheers,

Terry

carol202

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:07 am

Thanks for my first honorable mention!

atucker

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:10 am

Maybe few choices but a clear winner. Congratulations Jim.

fishit

Post Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks for the nod, all good choices, congrats to the winners.

jimcritchley

Post Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:35 pm

Fantastic! Will get on to hosting the next one. Looks like the format has changed a little so will have a read and post it up. Thanks again.

Board index PBase Show and Tell 141st Show & Tell Competition: Teaching - WINNER