Board index PBase Show and Tell 149th Show & Tell Competition: The Vernacular as Art.

Show and Tell

149th Show & Tell Competition: The Vernacular as Art.

Announce and discuss your photos.
bclaypole

Re: 149th Show & Tell Competition: The Vernacular as Art.

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:05 pm

Come on people - play along.

fishit

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:57 pm

sandiwhi wrote:This contest has been going along for years with a given format, and it's worked great. Guess I believe in the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
But I could be wrong. :))
sw

I agree sandi, I think I will pass on this theme, see you all next week end.
Everyone is entitled to set the topic they choose, I am entitled to pass ...

jlben

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:46 pm

sandiwhi wrote:No rules and pretty soon we no longer have embedded pics, and people post more than three, etc. Embedded pics are a big help when you're judging, so you can easily see them in their larger format. The rules aren't much to add. One little paragraph. Just my preference, but I like the ongoing list of winners, somewhere. Gives me, and especially newcomers, a reference so we don't repeat a contest topic. Fun too see how long it's gone on too.

I agree completely.

Don´t understand the topic btw.

gillk

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:39 am

Looking at this definition, I'm submitting one:
Noun: vernacular art

1. A genre of art and outdoor constructions made by untrained artists who do not recognize themselves as artists
- outsider art, self-taught art, naive art, primitive art

Gill
Last edited by gillk on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

raynerj

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:37 am

Once again I will attempt to explain – Vernacular photography is photography that has a specific purpose e.g. as a record of something, be it of a sports team, a crime scene, for identification (passport), to provide instruction (a manual) . . . the list is endless. In fact it is all photography other than for its own sake.

Now if a vernacular photo contains an element that, quite unintentionally, is pleasing to the eye or provokes an emotion, it could be said that this is ‘The vernacular as art’.

It does not matter who took a vernacular photo as their intention was not artistic, it is the image itself that matters in this regard.

In this contest I was attempting to introduce other elements from Photography, other than the usual portrait, landscapes and still-life, in an attempt to understand what makes a photo pleasing to my eye and therefore improve my own humble efforts at taking pictures.

Should have stuck to puppies. . .: )

fishit

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:13 pm

raynerj wrote:Once again I will attempt to explain – Vernacular photography is photography that has a specific purpose e.g. as a record of something, be it of a sports team, a crime scene, for identification (passport), to provide instruction (a manual) . . . the list is endless. In fact it is all photography other than for its own sake.
Should have stuck to puppies. . .: )

It was not a bad idea but I do not think many people post these types of pictures to this site.
Leaving them to have to find this type of work and post it for the theme, for me it just takes to much time.

No hard feelings, I just do not have much Vernacular photography in my collection.
It was a better than puppies, I guess. :]

stuartjr

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:22 pm

At the very least, when we're starting a new S&T, if the automated system is not working, can we not just at least cut and paste the rules from the last known correctly hosted S&T, update them accordingly with winners since that time, and run it that way. Surely it's not too much to ensure that the winner is responsible for appending details of their own success to the previous details when starting a new competition?

Seriously folks, this is one of the fun things on this site, if we don't at least keep this going in some ordered fashion, it too, along with so many other here things will just fizzle out.

As for the subject of this weeks competition, no offence intended, but I don't quite understand it either; all photographs submitted to S&T need to be hosted on pBase, and the majority of folks here use the site to exhibit their own work, not that of others. Whilst I fully respect and appreciate your efforts in trying to think up something different for a change, sadly I believe this is one contest that will unfortunately, by it's very subject, preclude the majority of us from submitting an entry.

I wish you luck in choosing a winner from what will, undoubtedly, be a very limited number of submissions ....
"The World is a book .... those who do not travel read only one page"
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70G f2.8

gillk

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:41 pm

I'm confused. Does aboriginal art qualify ?
Gill
Last edited by gillk on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

raynerj

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:51 pm

Gill,

A photographic record of Aboriginal art certainly does. . . so leave it in if you want, don't mind.

pajamacat

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:18 am

This is a photo of a photo I found in a thrift store. I was with my cousin the first time I saw it and we laughed our guts out. It is rather absurd to say the least. I have no idea who it is or how old. I wrote a little nasty story about him and placed him in my family gallery. Please do not pick me!! Please!

New York City 2006
Lid of magazine dispenser

Paris subway Old ripped posters
Last edited by pajamacat on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amoxtli

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:55 am

If aboriginal art qualifies, then I am assuming that murals do as well. Below is a section of a mural painted by my friend Salvador Torres.
This mural is located at 1935-1965 Harbor Drive in San Diego. It is about 560 feet long and 26 feet high. It depicts many different facets of life in San Diego, in particular its connection with the Pacific Ocean. You can see the entire mural here: http://www.pbase.com/amoxtli/salvador_r_torres

Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

dominiccantin

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 am

Pellan

pinemikey

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:20 am

The Vernacular as Art. This topic proves the point that for some who are reaching desperately for the esoteric, usually wind up with an exercise in banality.

But what the hey;

This cool looking poster with common crane lifting operation signals has a certain charm to it.

When working at a shipyard as a project engineer, usually dozens and dozens of images are taken of rigs before, during and after construction...99% being interesting to that very very small subset of people who work on these things...and even I can become inured to them after the 3rd or 4th dozen. All the same, sometimes something squeaks out that's not too bad.

Here, we have an extremely large blender...

or the mind numbing practice of having to grind smooth one of millions of places reveals something special that this guy couldn't care less about....

dlchase

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:49 pm

Just wondering the start and end date. I'm new here, thanks

pavona

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:19 pm

well then, why not?

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Show and Tell 149th Show & Tell Competition: The Vernacular as Art.