Board index PBase Show and Tell 175th Show & Tell Competition: Interesting and Dramatic Formations - WINNER

Show and Tell

175th Show & Tell Competition: Interesting and Dramatic Formations - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
sandiwhi

175th Show & Tell Competition: Interesting and Dramatic Form

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Thank you all for posting so many interesting geologic formations for me to add to my bucket list of places I'd like to shoot before I die. What a challenge to narrow the field down to the winners and honorable mentions! I had to leave behind so many wonderful formations and captures.

Sorry for any confusion about the subject of the contest because of the chopping off of the title, leaving the word "Form" instead of "Formation". The auto system did not allow me to edit the title. So warning to future winners - keep your titles short. Now on to the winners...

Honorable Mentions, in no particular order:

Peter Robertson - Aphrodite's Rock, Cyprus
Love the layers and moody sky and sea, along with the drama of the rock formations, in this beautiful capture.

Maaike Huizer - Playa Mansalina - CuraƧao
What an unusual formation, and a great capture of it. Did you get wet getting the shot, Maaike?

Marcel de Jong - Punakaiki Beach, NZ
New Zealand is quickly moving to the top of my bucket list, with yet another great formation to visit there. Marcel did such a great job of composing this beautiful pic, with a nice low down perspective and waves and water leading my eyes right to the subject.

Skalahan (Seeing Spots Photos) - Glacial Potholes, Massachusetts
Surprised me to see that these meandering formations were shot in Massachusetts. Beautifully composed shot with a great perspective.

Carol - Love Valley, Cappadocia
Don't need to think too hard to figure out how this valley got named. Of course, I had to include these impressive formations. What could I do? They have a certain appeal. Carol got a great perspective of these three giants, with a strong feeling of how the formations tower over you.

Winners:

Third Place
Markus Grompe - Cathedral Cove, NZ
Great perspective and color capture of this impressive formation. Did you risk getting wet to get this great shot, Markus? Do especially like the trees growing on this bit of earth, isolated by the sea, and the many more formations in the distance.

Second Place
McGarva - Bow Fiddle Rock, Portnockie, Moray, Scotland
This formation just knocks me out. The angles and peek through window are such an eye pleaser. Beautiful composition, perspective, and a super water capture.

First Place
Suzanne Methia - The Wave, AZ

A stunning capture of one of my favorite places - The Wave, and a great example of the kind of interesting and dramatic formations I wanted to see. Suzanne had an edge on this one, because even though I haven't managed to get one of the highly coveted day passes to visit The Wave, it's still become very special to me. This is a beautiful long perspective and perfect color capture of one of Mother Nature's most unique works of art. Congratulations Suzanne, and enjoy running the 176th Show and Tell Competition.
Last edited by sandiwhi on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.

mcgarva

Re: 175th Show & Tell Competition: Interesting and Dramatic Form

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Thanks for 2nd place Sandi and the mention
Some wonderful images a real worthy winner!
Pretty good for the last entered image :D

jlben

175th Show & Tell Competition: Interesting and Dramatic Form

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:34 am

Congrats Suzanne!
And to all the winners and HM's too, a great collection of interesting and dramatic form images :wink:

azicit

Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:56 pm

Thank you!! I am so thrilled.I am lucky to live in area that has an over abundance of interesting and dramatic formations.
Loved looking at all the images submitted for this one...makes me want to wander

Hopefully I can come up with an interesting and challenging topic for # 176!

Thanks again for the honor and all the great comments

emmelafoto

Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:30 am

Thank you for mentioning my picture.
No, luckily I didn't get wet taking it.
Congratulations to the winner. Well deserved.
Maaike

Board index PBase Show and Tell 175th Show & Tell Competition: Interesting and Dramatic Formations - WINNER