Board index PBase Show and Tell 202nd Show & Tell Competition: Panel of Three images (open t

Show and Tell

202nd Show & Tell Competition: Panel of Three images (open t

Announce and discuss your photos.
niekirk

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Firstly, many thanks to all who entered. I enjoyed looking at all the entries, and I have particularly enjoyed looking at some of the other work you've all posted in your other galleries.

I must give honourable mentions to these excellent panels:

lloydmerkel

Lloyd – I enjoyed the variety in your subjects; that it was three different abandoned homesteads, rather than just one from three different angles. I also enjoyed the common treatment; the toned monochrome effect. Your panel makes me want to see those homesteads myself, particularly the first.

troron

Ron – A bonus to you for showing us that horizontal panels are possible! That worked well for your images, particularly with the road balanced in the end pictures. Again, the variety (three different kiosks) was a strength of this panel. The clouds, and darker shades of the left and right images also helped hold it together. And a nice social document too.

raynerj

J – I was interested to see that this panel came from a gallery in which all your images are set out in threes. They perhaps work better in that, laid out horizontally, than in this vertical composition? (I could not work out how to present images horizontally in the competition thread when I started it.) The warm browns contrast well with the clear blue sky. They are an unfamiliar view of a London landmark. I enjoyed the way you used reflections in them.

fishit

Dennis – your monochrome floating leaves immediately stood out. Each calm and minimalist, the three together told a story of precise observation, and delight in natural simplicity. The still water gives a common mood, and the shared tones link the three into a single unit. These are images that belong on a gallery wall.

robinlew

Robin – This panel gave a powerful sense of place. I felt a need to watch these quietly, so as not the disturb the craftswoman at her delicate work. The close up of the mask completed the story started by the general scene. This could have been a cluttered and confused set of photos, but your composition brought the subject out well.

jojie_alcantara

Jojie – Baby Nicole is lovely! It's so evident from your images that she has a big personality. Technically your images are superb, with sparkling sharp eyes, wonderful soft lighting, and simple composition without distractions or any redundant elements. You should be very proud of this set of pictures.

Third place is shared by:

berndk

Bernd – I thought this was a superb panel. There is a common mood across all three images, from the composition lighting, tone, and textures. The framing really enhanced the set. I liked the balance of the figures heading in different directions. I wonder if the gull could have been the middle image, although then you might have lost the vertical symmetry of the shades of the pictures you chose for top and bottom.

and

lawrenceang
Image Image Image

Lawrence – this was an excellent panel. The three images were very different, in subject, composition, and, I'd guess, even in the equipment you used. They are a confident demonstration in your skill in capturing a subject with different techniques and compositions. Yet the three are balanced as you have presented them, and are a model of how to assemble a panel. This is the work of an accomplished photographer.

A well deserved and close second place goes to:

sandiwhi

Sandi – you make me regret that I'm thousands of miles away from Yosemite, but thank you for bringing it to me. The reflection in the bottom image mirroring the top is a masterpiece of composition. The middle image completes the set and is a restrained and effective use of HDR post-production technique. Lighting and colouring is very effective. The three shots together show a place better than any one on its own does, and work so well together.

And the winner (forgive me for saying, by a dog's whisker!) is:

pstewart

Well done Phyllis!

The harmonising tones first caught my eye. Puppy's coat, floor, and the frame you chose all go extremely well together. Then I enjoyed the drama and humour of the story; simple and well told. Finally, each of the three pictures is strong, compositionally and technically, yet stronger with the other two than on its own. You've captured the character of your subject.

Phyllis – I now hand over to you as the appointed curator and judge of the 203rd Show and Tell; I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed this!
Last edited by niekirk on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

fishit

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:16 am

Thanks for the kind words and congrats to all winner and HMs.
Did you leave the picture links out for some reason?

lloydmerkel

Re: 202nd Show & Tell Competition: Panel of Three images (open t

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:30 am

Thank you for the honorable mention, and you guys have inspired be as this is my first submission to a contest on pbase. I am looking forward to more participation in the future.

sandiwhi

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:25 am

Thanks for such a creative challenge, Malcom, and for your very kind words and 2nd place. An honor among such excellent submissions. You got us thinking for this one. Very fun contest.

pstewart

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:24 am

Wow... I don't know what to say! I just gave the news to my little doggie, Kyra, and she too was speechless.

I was sitting on a chair with a camera and Kyra suddenly decided to pull off my sock, so of course I took some pics. Never thought those simple snapshots would ever win a contest. I just entered on a whim at the last minute. Ya never know, eh? Thanks for choosing little Kyra (the real winner), and I hope I can do a good job with #203. I have the idea already... just need to post it.

Phyllis
Last edited by pstewart on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

jojie_alcantara

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:31 am

Congratulations to the winners and HMs, thanks for including me in it. It was a challenging theme and well worth the fun. Thank you! :D
"A photographer is nothing without his camera." - Eddie Cohen
http://www.kodakerdabawenya.com
http://www.pbase.com/jojie_alcantara

jose3344

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Great choice! Congrats to all winners!
Dima and Nelya

niekirk

Post Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:33 pm

fishit wrote:Thanks for the kind words and congrats to all winner and HMs.
Did you leave the picture links out for some reason?

Sorry about the image links; I thought the winner's, at least would go in automatically.

I think they're there now.

robinlew

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:18 am

Thanks for the honorable mention. This was a challenging and fun contest. Congrats to all the winners, especially to the cute doggie.

pstewart

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:33 pm

Ohhh, okay, finally caught on... LOL! I now see why you ask for links to the pbase gallery image, so here, belatedly, is the link for "bad puppy." Sorry about the omission.
http://www.pbase.com/pstewart/image/136290195

Board index PBase Show and Tell 202nd Show & Tell Competition: Panel of Three images (open t