Board index PBase Show and Tell 221st Show & Tell Competition: The WOW Factor - WINNER

Show and Tell

221st Show & Tell Competition: The WOW Factor - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
jojie_alcantara

221st Show & Tell Competition: The WOW Factor - WINNER

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:19 am

My congratulations to everyone who joined! Honestly, you gave me a headache on my birthday yet! When everyone was surprising me with a cake and a song at the stroke of midnight a few hours ago, I had to tell them am still not quite finished with my judging so leave me in peace for awhile. :D :D :D I started off with my best twenty picks, then it became a little painful narrowing it down to the images that have the most impact on me at first glance and which lingered after a long while. So taking a deep birthday breath....

THE HONORABLE MENTIONS, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

Bartosz' image evokes medieval fantasies of a whimsical nature...I half expect a Hobbit to drop in or a dragon to be sleeping peacefully nearby (chewing on grass). Had there been an Alice looking lass running about looking for a Mad Hatter, I would have moved this to a runner up easily.

Carol's squid of bright and striking translucence makes me think of the deep and what strange wonderful creatures lurk within the abyss, if we have but the ability to swim after them.

Arthur, your night capture of Bradfield Park is simply stunning when viewed on a large scale.

Bsam, I was torn between two of your photos. In the end, I had to let go of the rest and pick this one for its vibrancy and composition that makes me wish I was there shooting with you. Definitely a breathtaking capture.

FOURTH PLACE

Stuart, this plane about to land sends me, "whoaaah!" each time I look at it. I can imagine hearts pumping among beachgoers each time a plane comes in this close. An adrenalin rush both in reality and in the image captured.

THIRD PLACE

Mike, leading lines to an ominous storm front gives a tension to your image. It becomes a dangerous beauty, and I anticipate the force of nature that happens next. The yellow and gray combination is striking and foreboding.

SECOND PLACE

Jean, this photo strikes me on a personal note because I have been a flood victim and survived. So any rush of powerful waters will really affect me. If I didn't know any better that this place is a tourist attraction and is in a controlled environment, I would be praying for the safety of these people now. It is quite a powerful image of nature against man.

FIRST PLACE

William (pajamacat), about your photo. In all its stark simplicity in composition, monotone, and forlorn stance, your tree overwhelms me at a glance because it makes me wonder how long it has stood the ravages of time that it has to grow where the forces of nature compels it to. In its sad yet unbalanced state of probably keeling in the next few years, its sturdy trunk and gathering of fierce roots below tells me it will survive long after we have passed our lifetime.

Again, thank you for making my choice theme a memorable one, and William, best of luck to you next. Now let me celebrate my birthday, okay? :D :P
Last edited by jojie_alcantara on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A photographer is nothing without his camera." - Eddie Cohen
http://www.kodakerdabawenya.com
http://www.pbase.com/jojie_alcantara

gillk

Re: 221st Show & Tell Competition: The WOW Factor - WINNER

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:30 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jojie ! and congrats to the winners - LOVE that winning shot !
Gill

jlbrillet

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Thank you Jojie,

Happy birthday!

As you can guess this is an operating dam (soviet built), a usual place for local (Vietnamese) tourists to visit. I was lucky to be there when the water was released.

At the same time I took

which I did not submit as it has won once already.

Take care, Jean Louis.

jojie_alcantara

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Gill, thanks for the greetings!

And, Jean Louis, yes your other winning piece was definitely a stunner for me when I first saw it years ago. Great captures! :D

Jojie

pajamacat

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks a million for the top prize!! This tree was taken in the mid 90's in the southern most point of the US on the Big island of Hawaii. The wind must always blow in the same direction thus bending the tree. It was shot in b/w film and scanned a few years back on a high end Scitex scanner. You can make out the faint horizon of the pacific ocean about a mile away. When I took the shot I didn't realize that it was charged with such poetic strength. Remember. It is not me injecting meaning into the subject, but the subject exuding its meaning onto me. This concept has alway baffled me. All I can do is pick a good spot and click the shutter. All I do is observe.

Well OK. Lets move on. I will ponder the next theme for a day or so and get back. Thanks to all. bvg

impalass

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:57 am

Wow thanks for Third Place after seeing the image come in I knew you would have hard time with this one...LOL
Congrats to all and the winners.....

Looking forward to the next one.
Cheers...Mike

terrybowker

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:37 pm

Great selections! Congratulations to all!

fishit

Post Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:01 am

Nice picture, it was as well when it won 2nd back in November of 2008.

jojie_alcantara

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Guys, this is from Pajamacat (William) sent to me tonight: "Can't post next contest. I always get an oops message. Can you contact the number 2 winner? I am at wits end. Thanks BVG"

So, Jean, the ball is in your court. :)

Jojie

sandiwhi

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:04 pm

FYI = William has opted not to run the next contest, so the baton has been passed to Second Place Jean Louis. He's workin' on it, last I heard. Hopefully will have a contest up soon.

Sandi

jlbrillet

222nd Contest: Trading.

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:21 am

Sorry for the delay, I was promised a G3+ key I just got now.

OK So I guess I can send it this way for now.

The new contest is "Trading".

You have to present pictures of people trading. It does not have to deal with money, but it is better if the two parties which are trading are present.

For instance:

It does not have to be ethnic, or even to involve money (use you imagination).

I will try to get to the usual way.

Jean Louis Brillet.

Board index PBase Show and Tell 221st Show & Tell Competition: The WOW Factor - WINNER