Board index PBase Show and Tell 240th Show & Tell Competition - WINNER: drr1531

Show and Tell

240th Show & Tell Competition - WINNER: drr1531

Announce and discuss your photos.
mardoli

240th Show & Tell Competition - WINNER: drr1531

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:40 pm

First of all I would thank all the people who have taken part in this competition.

I know it sounds repetitive because it’s said every time, but really it has been hard for me to choose among all the submitted photos, because they were nearly all of very high quality.

I have started excluding the very few pictures which I liked a little less and then the few which I found rather out of theme.
Then I still had a considerable amount of remarkable photos among which I had to pick out only three.

Nevertheless I do think many would deserve at least an honourable mention, among them I’d like mentioning
This dramatic photo by Terry Bowker, who captured very well the wild atmosphere of a rainstorm with lightning, I liked the quality of the photo and the contrast between the sky and the artificial lights of the urban tall buildings

Another honourable mention for this photo by Chris Bladon.
The photos offer us a different perspective over the theme of rain setting it into a sport action report.
I liked it for its originality in the series of the submitted pictures

The last honourable mention goes to Todd Owlett for this excellent photo of Rochester Library after a storm. I liked the typical warm light of the sun which find its space while the background sky is still dark and menacing, the pale rainbow half hidden in the dramatic clouds add a particularly nice element to this classic and very well taken picture.

And now the winners

At the third place, with this amazingly beautiful composition, Marcel de Jong, who described with his camera a nearly fairy-like atmosphere. The bright blue boatshed matches perfectly the hues of the fantastic sky, which offers a full rainbow smile in the peace after a rainstorm.
The photo is very wisely composed and really remarkable. I deeply enjoyed it.

At the second place, with this lively and original photo, Chasp, who gave us a very effective example of the theme of the competition capturing a very intriguing moment.
The driver braves the rain protected in approximate way by his half worn-out umbrella which matches the colour of his T-shirt, the accuracy of details like that makes a good photo in my opinion.
There is movement, a slightly amused whimsical complicity with the viewer, as if we were all following the motorcycle, and a lot of interesting elements which really satisfy the theme.

And the first place is for this picture of Dan (drr1531), a very evocative portrait of a determined wild bear walking in the rain.
I liked this photo immediately, as soon as I saw it.
I came back to it to examine all details and every time I found something which made me like it even more.
The photo is very well composed, with the bear put on the left side and some blank space on the right. The blurred background isolates the animal and at the same time conveys a feeling of curtain of rain which prevents us from seeing anything, but the subject.
The raindrops falling from the bear’s fur stress the movement.
It’s a great photo, at least in my personal opinion.

Thank you again to all of you for the impressive photos you have submitted in this competition.
It’s on you again, Dan!
Best
Marisa
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

fishit

Re: 240th Show & Tell Competition - WINNER: drr1531

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:02 pm

All good choices, congrats to the winners and HMS ...

sandiwhi

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Wonderful choices, Marisa. Many great entries. Congrats to Dan and to all the winners. Since I'm relocating from sunny San Diego to Carson City Nevada very soon (any of you living around there?), I'll be looking forward to four seasons and more shots to enter in contests with seasonal topics.

drr1531

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Wow! Can't believe I won another one. Guess I'm on a role. Actually though I'm glad that bear won it. Personally I feel that is one of my all time best photos to date. Glad at least one other person liked it (thanks, Marisa). Congrats to all the other winners. I'll get another contest started ASAP. I've already got an idea for the topic but I'm rethinking it because it'll be a tough one to judge.

towlett

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:36 pm

An honorable mention! What an ego boost, particularly given the very talented company I was mentioned along side of. Thanks Marisa. :D

chasp

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:29 pm

Marisa,
Thanks for the 2nd place nod, and more importantly, your very thorough and articulate analysis and explanation of your judging process. Very well done, and very well appreciated. Congrats to all of the honorees and winners. Another demonstration of the great talent housed on this site.

Chas

gillk

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:56 am

Congratulations to the winners - so many great shots to choose from - I didn't envy you Marisa ! Great choices tho' !!
Gill

Board index PBase Show and Tell 240th Show & Tell Competition - WINNER: drr1531