Board index PBase Show and Tell 244th Show & Tell Competition: Beautifully simple in black and white - WINNER

Show and Tell

244th Show & Tell Competition: Beautifully simple in black and white - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
pstubley

kirstenmary

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:37 am

So, I do indeed have a tough choice to make. As a result, I have learned a bit more about what I think of as beautifully simple. There were some very fine entries that don't fit my arbitrary notions, and there were some that I would not have expected to fit, but turned out to. And when I went to comment on some of my favorites, I noted I had already commented on some of them: at least I am consistent :roll:

But I have to pick a winner, so here goes:

Honorable mentions:

I love Brad's cropped portrait (and especially the story behind it). Very nice light, and definitely expressive. I find the focus a little soft, though. It is the sense of light and the tight cropping that makes it qualify as beautifully simple (I claim).

John's street scene from Portugal is stunning: beautifully sharp, and awesome tonal range, but, while it is peaceful, there is a little too much going on for it to be "beautifully simple" (but I like it so much, I gave it an HM anyways):

Bernd's image of the couple on the beach definitely qualifies as beautifully simple, and has also tells a story. I like the antique feel as well:

Nick's footprint is another one I enjoyed:

Third place:
There were a few foot-related entries, where the crop focused on feet. My favorite is M Hauss' Relax. The composition is excellent and there is a great sense of story:

Second place:
Walter's shot of the pier in the fog is spectacular: there is a simple geometric feel to it, and great light and tonal range. The composition draws the viewer into the image.

And the winner:

I found myself constantly coming back to Kirsten's high key portrait. I had not expected portraits to fit, but the high key treatment takes away many of the distracting details, leaving a nice sense of light and those incredible eyes.

Thanks to everyone for participating: I really enjoyed the opportunity to look carefully at all of your entries. I pass the torch to you, Kirsten!

Peter

terrybowker

Re: 244th Show & Tell Competition: Beautifully simple in black a

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:53 am

Very nice contest Peter and great selection of winners! Congratulations to Kirstenmary and all of the other winners!!!! :D

nickviv

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:53 am

thanks for the mention... some really great entries...

fishit

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:44 am

All good choices Peter, congrats to the winners.

m_hauss

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:23 am

Wow, third place! Thank you very much and congrats to the other winners :-)

kirstenmary

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:22 pm

Thank you so much!!! I am honored! I will have a new contest up this afternoon!

gillk

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Congratulations Kirsten and other winners - great competition Peter!

irislynx

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Congrats to the winners.

mclew

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Neat contest with lots of inspiration! Congratulations to the winners!

amoxtli

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks for Second Place Peter. There were a lot of great submissions this time. "Beautifully simple in black and white" was good choice.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

Board index PBase Show and Tell 244th Show & Tell Competition: Beautifully simple in black and white - WINNER