Board index PBase Show and Tell 676th Show & Tell Competition: Unity of Opposites - WINNER

Show and Tell

676th Show & Tell Competition: Unity of Opposites - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
hughjones

grompem

Post Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:30 pm

Great images!

Honorable Mentions:

Markus Grompe: Funky Beach. A playful mingling of realities and textures.

Luxun54: Rain Forest Safari. A lovely unity of opposites.

Jarek M: a real treat. On the surface - sadness, loss. But - hidden - a view of a shared life and love.

Allen Hart: Reflections: a play on duality. I like how the plants and their reflections are treated as objects of composition.

Walter Koenig: Reflections. To me - a play on a contrast between dark, static & heavy vs. colorful, light & dynamic. I like how the amount and direction of the distortions are different for each window. Joyous and very alive.

Third Place:
Ken Zaret: Among the stars, in a cave, while in a barn. Feels reminiscent of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Lot's of fun.

Second Place:
Margaret Lew: Windows and Mirrors. A very surprising and tricky image that caught me off guard. So many implied realities. Which are the windows and which are the mirrors? Portals withing portals leading to other portals. Like playing Chess trying to follow this. Excellent!

First Place:
Markus Grompe: Starkenburg Nouveau
A subtle blend of the real and the imagined. It's disturbing in a way - there is no safe harbor for resting. The real and the created are perfectly balanced - and it is difficult to avoid moving from the real to the different abstractions of the imagined - and vice a versa. For example, start by at the garden, people and car (left-hand side). Then, the eye is drawn from the real to the black (trees?) backlit in glowing red (middle left and middle right) - the unreal. The vision is then drawn to the red and then white bands spanning the middle - and from there to the pastel colored buildings. It is a journey through structure as well as color.

As a result, the image is liberating. I learned a lot from viewing this - thank you!

jarekm

Re: 676th Show & Tell Competition: Unity of Opposites - WINNER

Post Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:45 am

An interesting and challenging topic!
Congratulations to the winners and thanks for the HM.

Jarek

allen_hart

Post Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:34 pm

This was a challenging topic.

Thanks for the HM, and thanks for the comments about the photo.

Congratulations to the winners.

mclew

Post Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:28 pm

Congratulations to Markus and Ken and all the HM's! Thanks for choosing my strange photo for 2nd place, I like your comments about it a lot because what I saw that day made me feel the same way. The topic brought out some good examples of unusual visions it was fun to look at all of them.

Margaret Lew

grompem

Post Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:46 am

Thanks...
I did have fun with that one. Took a painting by my late Uncle Caspar Landis and blended in the castle above my hometown... Layers in photoshop and then transparency brushes to blend...

luxun54

Post Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:56 am

Thanks for the HM, another interesting topic

amoxtli

Post Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:01 pm

An interesting and different topic. I liked the variety of submissions. Congratulations to all participants. Thanks for the HM.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

kzaret

Post Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:55 pm

Big congrats to Markus for the enchanting image! Thanks for third place. Best wishes to all.

Board index PBase Show and Tell 676th Show & Tell Competition: Unity of Opposites - WINNER