Board index PBase Show and Tell Is this legal ?

Show and Tell

Is this legal ?

Announce and discuss your photos.
headingtondtp

Is this legal ?

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:18 am

On Saturday I took some photos at a birthday party, a lot of people i work with atended. I posted them on pbase last Sunday so all could see them
Now today one of the people in a photo has said I have to take it off the pbase site as they object to being on the internet.
:roll:
This was a private party in a local hall.

Where do i stand legaly. :?:

This was in the UK ( England )

:?:
:lol:

altofran

It's all about respect

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:41 am

Hi,

I don't know about the laws in the UK, but I think if someone asks you not to put his picture on the web, you should respect that.

Good night

creativeimagery

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:26 pm

This raises a question I've been meaning to bring up as a discussion item, namely, what restrictions should we be considering when we post pictures of other people? I know that legally, if you use a picture of someone else for commercial purposes you need to have a model release. I believe that means that if you snap a picture of a cute kid eating an ice cream cone on the sidewalk, and want to publish that picture, you need to have a signed release from that kid's legal guardian (this doesn't seem to apply to news media). I'm not sure what the legal requirements are if you're not using the picture commercially, but only want to post it on a web site, such as pbase. Legal issues aside, however, what ethical (or moral) obligations are involved? If someone takes a picture of you looking particuarly stupid on a public street (after a sneeze, for example), is it legal or ethical for them to post that picture where anyone can see it, and possibly make you the object of ridcule or harassment?

The reason I've been thinking about this is because I have some photographic portraits I've taken that I've thought about posting to this web site, but I'm not comfortable doing that without getting the approval of the portrait subjects. Does anyone know what the legal requirements are for posting pictures where other people are recognizable? How do others feel about the ethical considerations involved?

Thanks.

ugot2bkdng

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:46 pm

Personally, I am sensitive to this issue. I have posted photos of folks that are posing or working someplace where picture taking is the norm. However, I try to crop out or blur the recognizable features of by standers. If I have a particularly "good" photo of someone, I usually offer a print and then ask if I may use it for non-commercial purposes. My rule on this is, do unto others as I would have them do unto me. :-)

I believe, asking first is always a good policy. If you can't ask, then I would not post a recognizable photo of anyone, no matter how good it is. I know this will sound far out; but, consider this. You see a lovely person and take a nice shot of them and post it. Unfortunately, this lovely person has been the object of harassment by another and has moved to escape the problem (not an uncommon problem these days unfortunately). So the harasser sees the posted photo and subsequently finds and harms the person that you posted the photo of! Far fetched? Maybe. But how do you feel about this, no matter how small the probability?

Anyway my 2 1/2 cents worth.

chuck

headingtondtp

Well

Post Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:45 pm

There were over a 100 people in the room, do I need them all to fill in a form ?
Most people responded very well and I have taken orders for prints from some.

just one perosn has objected.

parklifer

Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:22 am

Legally, I don't think you've got a problem here in the UK but as a matter of courtesy I'd take the pic off. Otherwise you are likely to get a deal of grief and who needs it? Especially if you are friends with the people concerned. It's a really sensitive area this and I know that primary schools usually ask parents to give permission for any pictures to be taken or used on school websites and you'll soon be steered clear of any kid whose parents have declined!

As far as taking press pics, I've never needed a release form but I'm incredibly careful that I never take pictures of children without speaking to a parent or other responsible adult who is in charge of them. I always show them my press card and make it very clear that the picture is being taken for publication and where it will be published. Which always includes the chance of it going online. If they are happy with this I go ahead. In reality most people are unhealthily keen on getting into a newspaper and there's often an unhealthy scramble to get into the picture!

But I'd err on the cautious here and just remove it. As you say, you've had plenty of interest from the people who are happy to put in a photo order.
Roz

atkinson

Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:41 am

I don't know legally how this thing sits, but I wouldn't hesitate to take down the images of those who are upset, out of pure respect.

I am flat out opposed to taking photos of anyone you don't know without getting their permission (if you know them, it is more complicated!). I am a member of an online photo club where this seems the norm, and I believe this is simple exploitation (improving one's photo gallery at the expense of someone else's privacy).

thresholdprod

Re: Is this legal ?

Post Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:18 am

You could win in court but would it be worth the cost to you? It comes down to more of a respect issue that the law. Some people don't like photos of themselves. Some can't be seen certain places or with certain people. Some have stalkers.Some people are just intorverts. The list can go on and on, everyone has their reasons.

If someone asks take down the photo don't be a d**k like the paparazzi.

If the shot is really stellar try to plead you case for keeping it up, if not what's the big deal?

Bill
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato (427-347 B.C.)
Bill Freeman
"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but usually consumes the bandwidth of more than two thousand." --Gym Quirk
Many great words of wisdom and advice http://www.pbase.com/help http://pbasewiki.srijith.net/

Board index PBase Show and Tell Is this legal ?