Board index Equipment Film Cameras How do I Rejuvenate Old Cameras

Film Cameras

How do I Rejuvenate Old Cameras

nannylin

How do I Rejuvenate Old Cameras

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:54 am

Hi. I was delighted to discover 3 of my husband's old cameras, but 2 were in the basement. Pentax ME Super, Minolta srt100, and Nikon FM2. Also, a nice collection of lenses from zoom to fisheye for each one. Everything smells musty. Which approach would make more sense in terms of $$$ and time?
1. I bought new batteries and film for each. I could shoot a roll with each, experimenting with the lenses, etc and see how they come out. Then send the best to the photoshop for a thorough cleaning and check-up.
OR
2. I could send all three for their cleaning and check-ups first and see what the expert recommends.

What do you think? Will the smell ever go away if I discard anything fabric and clean everything with alcohol?

Thanks for your advice.
Linda

wau

Post Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:02 pm

I have had good experiences using only a light, diluted solution of dish detergent on a dampend paper towel to clean the exterior surfaces of the camera bodies and lenses (alcohol may damage the labelling, finishes, or leatherette). The bodies probably need a CLA (clean, lubricate, and adjustment) at a cost which could approach their market worth. You can check the eBay auctions or KEH.com to get an idea of the going price for the bodies and lenses. The lenses may have more value, especially if they are of the same make as the camera, are in good condition (no fungus, scratches, or coating damage on the glass), and are operable. A good, reputable camera shop should be able to tell you if the lenses need repair or are economically repairable with a quick inspection prior to having them serviced.

If, under the worst case, the items are in poor condition, you may still be able to sell the items "as-is" or "for parts".

pziasd

Post Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:06 pm

You can send the cameras back to the manufacturer for a cleaning and if they have parts they can make repairs too. It wouldn't be a good idea to clean these yourself since these old cameras, while sturdy, may end up in worse shape than when you found them...

Board index Equipment Film Cameras How do I Rejuvenate Old Cameras