Board index Equipment Film Cameras Film Advice

Film Cameras

Film Advice

nickdemarco

Film Advice

Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:18 pm

Hi Filmies.

I Used to take film many years ago - and I have just put up a gallery of old film pics scanned and processed in pbase - comments welcome

http://www.pbase.com/nickdemarco/old_days_of_film

Anyway, I am just off on hoioliday to Paris and Nice, and it's really a photographic holiday. I am planning to take my new Canon 5D (not tried it out properly yet) with me and take lots of good digi pics hopefully.

But I am also taking a second hand film camera my Dad gave me, the Nikon F70. So that's why I ask a bit of advice. Any of the following questions you can help me with would be gratefully recieved:

1. What's the camera like? OK? Anything I need to know about it?
2. When should I take film instead of using my 5D? Should I only take B+W film (I was planning to try both)?
3. Which films are the best quality to take?
4. When I get the film developed is it OK to get it put on CD straight away (on highest resolution) or not adviseable?
5. Finally, if I catch the film bug and want to develop this side of my photography more, can you recommend a good Canon I could buy that I could put some of my Canon L lenses on?

Thanks for reading and apologies for all the questions. Even if you can only advise on one of them it would be great.

Nick

nickdemarco

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:50 pm

Sorry to post again but surely someone has at least one answer... please?

ginea

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:52 am

nickdemarco wrote:Sorry to post again but surely someone has at least one answer... please?

:lol: it's ok, I'm woundering answer to almost the same question.
Maybe it's better to ask a photographer in pbase, who use your camera ?

vid64

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:39 pm

OK, I'll have a go

1. The N70 is a typical mid 90's mid range AF SLR. Not as good as a F100, but has most of the useful stuff you need to take good pictures.

2. If you've got a 5D, I can't see much point shooting colour unless you specifically want get mounted slides. I'd stick to B&W

3. Film choice is a personal preference, but unless you are doing your own developing, I'd recommend a c41 B&W film such as Ilford XP2 Super which is processed in standard colour print chemicals. Otherwise Try Neopan 400 or Tri-X and experiment with diferent developing chemicals.

4. Getting the lab to scan to at the time of processing is usually the cheapest way to go. Bear in mind tho that getting high res scans done is quite expensive and that printing to an inkjet from a scan isn't the best way to get a print from black & white film. Send the negs to a pro lab when you want prints.

5. Any EOS camera will take any EF lens, L or otherwise. While the Rebels are quite capable, the best models to look for are the 1v, 1n or 3.

Hope this helps

nickdemarco

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:33 am

vid 64, thanks for the reply. I only just got back from holiday.

It was, in fact, an F80. I took various rolls, mainly B&W, yet to see the results. Whilst away I found a second hand 17-35 f2.8L Canon lens and did a deal with the shopowner to buy it plus the Canon EOS 50E film camera (body only also second hand) for 1000 euros, which I think was a reasonable deal mainly for the lens. I have sonce been told the 50E is not as good as the F80, but I can use it with my lenses and see how it goes, upgrade later if I like.

Thanks for your help

Nick

mesullivan

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:21 pm

I shoot film when I'm going for the look of film or shooting family events as I feel it's more stable than digital as far as storage. I have been very happy with my Elan 7 but jones for a 1V, just have to save my pennies. :-)

jackthrt3

Re: Film Advice

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:12 am

nickdemarco wrote:Hi Filmies.

I Used to take film many years ago - and I have just put up a gallery of old film pics scanned and processed in pbase - comments welcome

http://www.pbase.com/nickdemarco/old_days_of_film

Anyway, I am just off on hoioliday to Paris and Nice, and it's really a photographic holiday. I am planning to take my new Canon 5D (not tried it out properly yet) with me and take lots of good digi pics hopefully.

But I am also taking a second hand film camera my Dad gave me, the Nikon F70. So that's why I ask a bit of advice. Any of the following questions you can help me with would be gratefully recieved:

1. What's the camera like? OK? Anything I need to know about it?
2. When should I take film instead of using my 5D? Should I only take B+W film (I was planning to try both)?
3. Which films are the best quality to take?
4. When I get the film developed is it OK to get it put on CD straight away (on highest resolution) or not adviseable?
5. Finally, if I catch the film bug and want to develop this side of my photography more, can you recommend a good Canon I could buy that I could put some of my Canon L lenses on?

Thanks for reading and apologies for all the questions. Even if you can only advise on one of them it would be great.

Nick

nickdemarco

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:01 pm

Sorry. I don't get the response...

llung

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:04 pm

Getting the lab to scan the negs is definitely the most economical way to go, but it's my understanding that film scanners have a real problem with black and white film. My personal experience is that whenever I have requested the lab scan the negs onto a CD for me the results have not been satisfactory. I get far better results scanning prints on my flatbed scanner.

fabiot

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:00 pm

llung wrote:Getting the lab to scan the negs is definitely the most economical way to go, but it's my understanding that film scanners have a real problem with black and white film. My personal experience is that whenever I have requested the lab scan the negs onto a CD for me the results have not been satisfactory. I get far better results scanning prints on my flatbed scanner.

Oh how true .... :( But in my experience... the fix is quite simple. In many cases, "lab scans" go completely automatic (normally processed by people with no real experience) and tend to have "sharpen" and "dust removal" set to auto. This is probably the worst thing you can do to a grainy B/W negative. It will hugely increase the grains in the film and make the whole image disgusting!!

I have received much better scans from labs when I have specifically asked them to turn OFF sharpen and dust removal (even though sometimes they just “forgetâ€

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Film Advice