Board index Equipment Film Cameras Nikon FM 10 Question

Film Cameras

Nikon FM 10 Question

nittinbedi

Nikon FM 10 Question

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:42 am

OK, I am taking a photography class in school. It is allo black and white photography. We develop our own film and print our own prints. Anyways, I am having a difficult time using the camera. I am ok with using it outdoors, but when I am indoors, I have a problem with the photos becomming under exposed, no matter what I do. I am just a novice and am learning how to use this Camera. Any suggestions?

Also, I do not know where to put this, so I guess I'll add it here. I have an assignment to do, and part of the assignment is panning, stoping the action and blurring the background. Any suggestions on how to get that just right would be appreciated, I have no idea how to do that. I missed the day when he gave explanations on that. Well, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

macswenson

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:11 am

well to blur the backround and stop the action, you needa few things, a lense that can shoot wide open at something around f/3.5 something like an f/2.8 is better, but more expensive. use it at a length of 50mm or more, and shoot. that should blur the backround. Use the the lense on wide open, or the 'lowest' number f/stop. as for stopping action, use a shutter speed above 1/500th of a second(depends on the subject, for people walking, 500th or a 420th will work, but for sports, or fast subjects, something like 1000th of a second is needed.

nittinbedi

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:15 am

ok, thanks. I will try. When I get to class tomorrow, I will see what I can do. That is, if I am not developing my own film tomorrow. I was going to try to take photos this weekend, but things came up. As you can tell, I am a novice, at least with using this camera. Thanks.

mesullivan

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:03 pm

For cars you sometimes need 1/60th or 1/125th as you pan the vehicle. Experiment, see what works best for you in your situation. With someone walking or running, sometimes by the time your shutterspeed is fast enough to freeze their arms and legs, the background is not motion blurred. Of course as stated, a larger aperature will help the background be blurred due to shallow dof.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hp_digita ... 55,00.html

http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/vi ... ?recid=221

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Oceani ... 431398.htm

jackthrt3

try this........

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:19 am

Use the reciprocataing approach always set your f/stop at f/16
depending on the film (not transparencies) set your shutter speed according to the ASA for example ASA 400 1/500 of a sec. ASA 200 1/250 or 1/125 of a sec. ASA 100 1/125 of a sec. or 1/60 of a sec.

the slower the shutter the lighter the image.
Jack Bieser

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Nikon FM 10 Question