Board index PBase Show and Tell Winners of the 29th Show and Tell competition

Show and Tell

Winners of the 29th Show and Tell competition

Announce and discuss your photos.
billinchapelhill

Winners of the 29th Show and Tell competition

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:50 pm

Here are the results of the 29th Show and Tell Challenge: Dramatic lighting

There were well over 60 entries and I guess over 140 photographs submitted. Thanks to all for giving links so that I could look at them in larger sizes.

There was a technical problem, on Saturday the thread stopped responding fully and you could not post new entries. One person emailed me an image and another started a new thread because he could not post. These additional images got reviewed. I had done my first cut of images on Saturday morning before the thread started acting up. So as far as I can tell all images submitted were reviewed by me.

I picked 4 honorable and 3 winners. There were 10-12 pictures that were in the final tier so I had to discipline myself to make the selections. My selection criteria were:
- Was the use of lighting dramatic?
- Was lighting the most important element?
- Was the use of lighting original and creative?

For the sake of disclosure, I want to point out that two of the images I picked were ones that I had previously viewed and voted for. Neither image took first place.

Congratulations winners
Bill Warren

Honorable mention
The intense burnout lighting on the reflective plane is the key element in this composition.

Honorable mention
This studio shot was the best example of controlled lighting submitted.

Honorable mention
Lighting frames the racing car as it emerges from under the bridge creating an intense image. A great photo, but for me, the blur in this shot is the dominant element.

Honorable mention
This is an elegant, well framed shot that combines 2 sources of lighting (cloud sky and pole lights). I wish that there had been more multiple lighting source entries in the challenge.

Third place
This double portrait is exceptional in terms of lighting design and composition. The 2 bands of lighting on the faces and bodies are dramatic; and the way the top band of light falls differently on the 2 faces is unique. Equal to the lighting here is the interaction of the 2 subjects. On the down side, this appears to be a scanned photograph that unfortunately suffers from too much washed out skin on the left subject.

Second place
The sunlight cuts a dramatic spotlight beam through the clouds, lighting up the waves, the beach and this amazing wharf building skeleton in the water: This is an inspired piece.

First place
There were a number of silhouettes submitted and this one stands well above the rest. The closed window shades create multiple and overlapping shadows of the unseen worker and his gear. The lighting is dramatic, it is the dominate influence and the effect is original—here is your winner.

stuegan

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:33 pm

Fantastic picks, all of them - congratulations!

nickdemarco

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:15 pm

I am so delighted to have ended up in the top 3 (with the B&W 3rd place portraits). So many of the pics I have seen in this particular competition were of a very high quality. Thank you. Nick

http://www.pbase.com/nickdemarco

jestev

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:03 pm

Great images and congrats to all!
John Stevenson
http://www.pbase.com/jestev
Nikon N70, N6006; D300, D50
Lenses (of 20): Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF, Tokina AT-X 12-24 f/4 AF PRO, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 AI
Canon S1 IS
Minolta XG-7

halesr

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:33 pm

Congratulations to all! This was a great group of images and I did not envy Bill's job of selecting winners.--Rene

raunch111

WOW

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:39 pm

Thanks for the honorable mention Bill. I know i didn't place, but considering the competition i am very pleased.

johnireland

keep lighting this site with awe :):):)

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:12 am

congrats to all and to all a flaming fun night :):):)

let's see hundreds of BRRRRRRRilliant photos for the 30th :):):)

DREAM~~~DARE~~~DIVE ALWAYS, John!!! :):):)

agroni

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:27 am

COngrats :) :) :)

quad

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:52 am

Congrats to all !

andyrpthomas

Thanks

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:48 pm

Thanks Bill for organising and for your vote for second place - I really enjoyed seeing everyone's entries. Looking forward to number 30!

newtothescenery

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:17 am

Very nice work to all :D :D :D
Canon EOS 30D, EF-S 17-85mm F/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM, BG-E2 Grip, 580EX, http://www.BlendedEvents.com

tull777

"Honorable mention"

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:48 am

Bill, Thank you for the "Honorable Mention" regarding the Plane shot. Such great compitition.

Everyone, Great Job!

Thanks again.........Eddie

Board index PBase Show and Tell Winners of the 29th Show and Tell competition