Board index PBase Show and Tell I'd like some critique from the hotdogs on this site.

Show and Tell

I'd like some critique from the hotdogs on this site.

Announce and discuss your photos.
dannyshoots

I'd like some critique from the hotdogs on this site.

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:11 am

I've been a member of Pbase for a little over a year. My site has been hit a bunch in that time. But I hardly ever get any feed back from the popular artists here. You guys (and gals) with all the talent might help us understudies out with your input once in a while...

sheila

Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:50 am

Hi Danny

You have some very nice images on your gallery. I have left a few comments.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

dannyshoots

Right on the money!

Post Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:23 pm

Sheila,

Thank you for responding to my post. You were right on with your critique of the bird shot, so I tried my hand at cloning with PS. Thanks again.

Danny

creativeimagery

Post Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:34 pm

Danny,

I'm new to pbase, but I think I understand the reluctance a lot of people have to leaving comments. I think that there are a couple of issues.

1. Taste in photos is pretty idiosyncratic. Your absolute favorite picture might leave someone (or everyone) else complete cold. I think that most people, if they don't like a photo or are indiffent to it, will say nothing. I actually think thats for the best; what can say about a picture you really dislike, or don't care about, that will be helpful to either the photographer or others?

2. Not everyone responds well to criticism, even if they request it. I think that makes people a little skitish about saying anything critical. Who needs to get flamed for telling a stranger stuff they didn't want to hear? I certainly don't.

Anyway, I suggest that if you have a specific photo that you think would benefit from a critique, suggest it in the Show and Tell forum. If you get no response, it may be that the photo doesn't generate the reaction in others that it does in you.

Now, having said all this, let me say that I did leave you a bit of critique on your photo of the mountain valley titled "October 31..." . It's a nice picture that would benefit from a bit of cropping. I think that's true of several of your pictures. Don't be afraid to change the original aspect ratio of the picture to emphasize a particular part of it or remove distracting stuff.

Hope this is helpful (if not, well, you can ignore it! :wink: )

Terry

Board index PBase Show and Tell I'd like some critique from the hotdogs on this site.