Board index Other Travel FOREIGN FACES. Post your portraits.

Travel

FOREIGN FACES. Post your portraits.

llung

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:25 am

What is a "foreign face"?

I am a Chinese Canadian - if I post a self-portrait taken in Toronto is that a "foreign face"? I was recently travelling in Europe and North Africa - if I took a picture of myself in Paris then would that constitute a "foreign face"? What if I took a picture of myself while standing in a crowd in Beijing - "foreign face"?

arifakhan

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:04 am

Lucas, Well said. You present good examples to make your point.

Considering the melting pot we live in nothing seems to be foreign as such.

Who is really native to a country can be tricky at times. Furthermore when you are on the web it seems like one larger place.

paradoxal_studio_classic

Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:27 pm

Oulémata, Mali
Last edited by paradoxal_studio_classic on Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danny_laredo

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:38 pm

this is my maasai woman from my trip to kenya

serge_desportes

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:28 am

Is Robert de Niro live in Japan now? :wink:

sethlazar

Picturing others

Post Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:56 pm

The last comment is apt. It is also very interesting how few of these portraits are of men between the ages of 18-45, when it is fair to say that the majority of the photographers probably fall into that bracket. There is clearly a bias towards picturing, and possibly objectifying, otherness in travel portraiture. This is nowhere more apparent than in pictures of India(ns), of which maybe one in twenty will be of the young men featured in the pictures from Goa (credit to the photographer there). I am interested in this; I wonder how much of it is just aesthetic, how much something less appealing that underlies what we ('we') are doing when we are taking pictures of others. And perhaps the two things: perhaps our ideas of the aesthetic are informed by these other underlying issues.

I am curious to know what people think about this. I offer a portrait as well, my own portrait of otherness. This man was, so he told me, preparing for his upcoming wedding, and had been henna-ed to that effect. Admittedly, I took his picture because he was considering robbing me, and I wanted to placate him (the next picture is of him holding his knife). And when editing the photo I desaturated the background to draw attention away from the heavy sharpening applied to turn an out-of-focus picture into something viewable. And yet the outcome is clearly another picture that focuses on strangeness, otherness (to me). I aimed to make it more confrontational than portraiture usually is, but has it come out just being the same thing? I would love to hear thoughts about this; I'm trying to start the debate on my own gallery page so please drop by and say what you think. Here is the picture (click on it to go to my gallery)

rm2

Post Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:42 am

superlucius

Egypt - kids smile.....

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:06 am

neuenhofer

New portraits from India

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:08 pm

ImageImage
A Poroja and a Juang from Orissa laugh about a tourist taking photos of them

menno

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:38 pm

http://www.pbase.com/menno/image/54483873/original

An Egyptian man I met near the Temple of An-Nadura in the Kharga Oasis in the Egyptian Western Desert.

clickmagic

Foreign faces

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:04 am

Interesting topic, more than anything is to capture the character of the ethnic group which the subject belongs, cultural aspects and beleif are shown in the portrait an image with no words that will talk to the audience.

kaukulator

Bacolod City - Philippines

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:28 pm

He actually begged me to have his picture taken.
A homeless person ...

dougj

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:53 am

Floating market, Thailand

Black Musser Hilltribe lady, Northern Thailand

Young Cricket team and supporters, Mumbai

fausto1

People from Madagascar

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:58 pm

For pictures of people from Madagascar, have a look to my gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/fausto1/madagascar[img][/code][/quote]

davecollier

Post Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:28 pm

Here's a portrait of a Balti porter at Concordia in North West Pakistan, the place where the Baltoro Glacier and the Godwin-Austin Glacier meet - close to K2.
Very friendly people!

http://www.pbase.com/scubamoo/image/65276364

For more of Pakistan and the mighty Karakoram mountains visit
http://www.pbase.com/scubamoo/karakoram_pakistan

Cheers 8) Dave

PreviousNext

Board index Other Travel FOREIGN FACES. Post your portraits.