Board index PBase Show and Tell Winners of the 38th Edition Show and Tell Competition

Show and Tell

Winners of the 38th Edition Show and Tell Competition

Announce and discuss your photos.
artandrevolution

Winners of the 38th Edition Show and Tell Competition

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:46 pm

Thanks to everyone who participated.

3rd Place

2nd place- striking focus on the eye. I really liked the way the shadow of the glasses played around the eye.

1st place- The clutch of the small hand i think tells more then one story...

congrats!
Peter gets to host the next one!
"The role of the revolutionary artist is to make revolution irresistable"

mahowel

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:13 pm

Congrats to all!

Nice photos but a name list would be helpful as well :wink:

Ok I think that we have...
Kristinmary
billinchapelhill and
homerhomer?

rsub8

Re: Winners of the 38th Edition Show and Tell Competition

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:33 pm

Congratulations to all! :D

artandrevolution wrote:This weeks theme will be
Portrait of a Gesture

I believe that the emotions of a person can often be portrayed without actually showing the face of that person with, a simple hand gesture, cock of the heel, tilt of the hip.
Photographs that I will be looking for are those that express a mood (of any kind) that focus on other aspects of the human body, other then the face (face can be included not at all. partially, or in full if it follows the theme).

artandrevolution wrote:2nd place- striking focus on the eye. I really liked the way the shadow of the glasses played around the eye.

And, to the Judge, artandrevolution, just so I can understand the topic better, how does the above image connote a "gesture?" :) Thanks -

jestev

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:26 am

Nice shots everyone! Congrats!
John Stevenson
http://www.pbase.com/jestev
Nikon N70, N6006; D300, D50
Lenses (of 20): Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF, Tokina AT-X 12-24 f/4 AF PRO, Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF, Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 AI
Canon S1 IS
Minolta XG-7

dannyshoots

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:10 am

Congrats to all...Nice images, indeed.

However, to the judge, I don't see how any of your choices (save possibly the 3rd place image) came close to the requested theme. But...you were the judge.

Cheers
Danny

cccal

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:54 am

I didn't enter this time around. But I'd have to agree that 2nd place really isn't a gesture, Either is 1st place really. They are all black and white however, yay...? mmmm whining is fun.

homerhomer

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:23 pm

well I have entered the contest for the first time and was quit excited to be the winner, but I can see it has coused some alot of grapes so I guess this will be my last time.
Too bad, it sounded like fun.

kirstenmary

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:31 pm

Thanks muchly!!!! :D

ETA:...for 3rd. :)

ralphandkylie

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:39 pm

homerhomer wrote:well I have entered the contest for the first time and was quit excited to be the winner, but I can see it has coused some alot of grapes so I guess this will be my last time.
Too bad, it sounded like fun.

Peter (aka homerhomer),

firstly, congratulations on winning the competition, your photo expresses alot of emotion without using the face to express it. Well done.

Secondly, please don't give up on these competitions because of some peoples' questioning of the result. This has never happened before. All previous competitions have worked really well.

I'm looking forward to seeing what subject you put for the next competition.

Everyone else, let's remember that this is not a professional competition, there are no prizes. I wonder about the 2nd place photo too (it's a great image and I'd be interested to hear what artandrevolution has to say about it) but in the end this is PBase's friendly, weekly competition, let's keep it that way.

Ralph

artandrevolution

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:31 pm

I think people are just grumpy because they dont like my opinions on the forum.
I picked the second place because
a) i enjoyed the composition and due to the lack of entries it was difficult to pick more then just one to give props to. I thought while many of the photos depicted "gesture" or body language, that the skill in photography itself was lacking.
and b). it did follow the theme by showing a mood without it being just "a head shot" (which i believe there was another competition that was trying to move away from "just headshots"). Also, eyelids themselves talk. If they were drooping or half closed it would say one thing. If they were open but a little less so then they were then it would be just a man looking into the lens.

and
c). i get to choose whatever winners i want to because i hosted this one.

thanks again to everyone who participated in the competition.
sorry the others didnt like it.

rsub8

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:54 pm

ralphandkylie wrote:Peter (aka homerhomer),

firstly, congratulations on winning the competition, your photo expresses alot of emotion without using the face to express it. Well done.

Secondly, please don't give up on these competitions because of some peoples' questioning of the result. This has never happened before. All previous competitions have worked really well.

I'm looking forward to seeing what subject you put for the next competition.

Everyone else, let's remember that this is not a professional competition, there are no prizes. I wonder about the 2nd place photo too (it's a great image and I'd be interested to hear what artandrevolution has to say about it) but in the end this is PBase's friendly, weekly competition, let's keep it that way.

I agree wholeheartedly with the above.

Sorry that I didn't explain my reason for questioning the choice of #2: There are a lot of non-native English language users around here. There also have been questions in previous competitions from just such folks over a fine point in the definition of a word. I just thought that if such a person went to wikipedia or wherever to see the definition of gesture and found it incongruous with #2, it might cause that person to be confused or frustrated. (Incidentally, said wikipedia definition of gesture only includes the expressionistic use of the eyes, such as rolling, not staring, as in that image. If you disagree with that definition, perhaps you might consider sending a correction / addition to the wikipedia definition.)

Note that I'm not making any commentary on the quality of the photography at all, just the choice of the image based on the defined subject matter.

artandrevolution wrote:due to the lack of entries

That seems to be an odd thing to say. I counted 106 "entries" (images). Just how many more would it take, in your opinion, to not be a "lack of entries?" Thanks - :)

artandrevolution

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:06 pm

I suppose i could have used a better word then "gesture", maybe "body language" but i felt like that I was pretty open to whatever it was that people wanted to interperate as gestural. And like I said..I liked the exectution of the photograph...I had considered making it third instead of second but the deciding factor for me personally was the mood I got while looking at the photograph which was perhaps more of the intent of the topic then the gesture or word "gesture" itself. Essentially, while I liked the child photograph, my response to the imagry in the second was more..."whoa! cool!".
I dont really know how much more i can explain it to everyone. I feel like many of the other competitions can be open to interpretation and I wanted this one to be the same way...
as for number of entries..i didnt really count but usually there were excess of 5 or 6 pages. this only had 4. And even then, aside from the three I chose...i think i only really liked maybe 3 others.

rsub8

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:24 pm

Ok. As I'm now given to understand it, the "theme" is irrelevant, depending instead on the latitude bestowed to the "interpretation" of the definition of a word. :lol:

artandrevolution

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:26 pm

can we end this now?

Board index PBase Show and Tell Winners of the 38th Edition Show and Tell Competition