Board index PBase Show and Tell 45 st Show and tell competition

Show and Tell

45 st Show and tell competition

Announce and discuss your photos.
deaconsc

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:35 pm

Open, yes. But Joy, you are not the photographer for the winning image of 44th Show and Tell Competition: Denis Salgado and you are said to be the winner of a photo contest. That is not fair.

The policy of PBase.com states clearly that "it is intended for photographers, artists, and everybody else who wants to upload images and display their OWN work to others." Just because you appeared in the photo does not mean you own this photo. Whether Denis has permitted you to host his photo at your site or not, you did not indicate you have his permission to use his photo to enter this specific competition. After all, this was a photo contest...

I guess you can and will organize this round as I am not out to object the proceedings here. Just that something needs to be said.

nickviv

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:46 pm

evledstudio

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:46 pm

deaconsc wrote:Open, yes. But Joy, you are not the photographer for the winning image of 44th Show and Tell Competition: Denis Salgado and you are said to be the winner of a photo contest. That is not fair.

The policy of PBase.com states clearly that "it is intended for photographers, artists, and everybody else who wants to upload images and display their OWN work to others." Just because you appeared in the photo does not mean you own this photo. Whether Denis has permitted you to host his photo at your site or not, you did not indicate you have his permission to use his photo to enter this specific competition. After all, this was a photo contest...

I guess you can and will organize this round as I am not out to object the proceedings here. Just that something needs to be said.

My dear,

I have the permission to do anything I want, from all of my photographers for as long as I do not do anything comercial and do mention their copyright, so what is your problem ? You could know this.

I do not need to mention to you that the rights on tfp/tfcd shoots are equal to photographer and model. More over, denis is very happy at this moment. The copyright is always mentioned with my photos. The ownership is shared between model and photographer. As I never sign a modelsrelease, also the photographer can publish free,mentioning my name as the model and when there was a MUA also, but not sell the image without my permission.

In all my contributions to the contest I explicitely mention the photographers names. So everyone can see it. I participated over 10 times, never one remark. Now I won, suddenly a lot of fuzz coming up. This smells hypocrite.

Grts

Joy

PS : I do not see any positive contribution by you on pbase, how that comes ? :roll:
Last edited by evledstudio on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

deaconsc

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:07 pm

Joy, I never said models are not artists, nor was I questioning how close you and Denis may be. I only assumed Denis was the sole owner of the photo as indicated by the copyright statement left at your site.

Now, I must say I am disappointed by your response. No further comment. Good luck with this contest.

evledstudio

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:18 pm

[quote="deaconsc"]Joy, I never said models are not artists, nor was I questioning how close you and Denis may be. I only assumed Denis was the sole owner of the photo as indicated by the copyright statement left at your site.

Now, I must say I am disappointed by your response. No further comment. Good luck with this contest.[/quote

:D Have a nice evening :D

joy

agroni

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:35 pm

Hhmmmmm, here we have an interesting case for the competition.

I have to admit that i agree with deaconsc what is saying. Personally i think that this competition is about the hard work that one must do to have a great result in a photo. That includes all the camera parameters (exposure, apperture, etc) and the EYE. This is the thing that won the competition! The photographer had the eye and the talent to create such a composition that could be rated that high. As a model you help create the photographer that scenery. Let us say that you are an input of the masters creation.

I don't know how many of you agree, but i think that the Show & Tell competition should be for photographers (the ones who look in the viewfinder and press the shutter button on the camera). Let this competition run as it is going now but from the next comeptition (#46) we have to add something in the rules?!

evledstudio

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:57 pm

agroni wrote:Hhmmmmm, here we have an interesting case for the competition.

I have to admit that i agree with deaconsc what is saying. Personally i think that this competition is about the hard work that one must do to have a great result in a photo. That includes all the camera parameters (exposure, apperture, etc) and the EYE. This is the thing that won the competition! The photographer had the eye and the talent to create such a composition that could be rated that high. As a model you help create the photographer that scenery. Let us say that you are an input of the masters creation.

I don't know how many of you agree, but i think that the Show & Tell competition should be for photographers (the ones who look in the viewfinder and press the shutter button on the camera). Let this competition run as it is going now but from the next comeptition (#46) we have to add something in the rules?!

Hi Agroni,

first of all i do not agree with you on this. And I find this discussion is as a matter of fact of topic. You should open another topic to discuss about this and I will contribute. But keep this thread clean please.

Best regards,

Joy

PS : did we not have some message exchange ? Why you did not mention to me ?

And Iwill repeat one thing :

all my photographers allow me to do anything I want, exept commercial operations, so what is the point ?

a_zeitler

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:28 pm

Well, this does not seem like the place to argue over the subject matter, copyrights, etc...

So I will post my contribution to THIS competition:

Image is in medium format please view at original size for a better view.

http://www.pbase.com/a_zeitler/image/75571952/original
Last edited by a_zeitler on Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

stephenoachs

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:22 am

BOY, THE WHEELS SURE FELL OFF OF THIS CONTEST THING HUH! :lol:

kirstenmary

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:09 am

So, Joy, you did not take the photo? I just want to be clear on this....

jimcritchley

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:38 am

hevezimj

Post Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:47 am

Wow ...

Sorry to all. This is all my fault as I was the host and supposed to be tuned into the details of the entries.

So, the photographer Denis gets the credit for "taking" the photo. The model, Joy, who one could argue is part of the process in making the shot, also gets credit.

I don't write the rules ... but as the administrator for the 44th my decision is to recognize Denis' photo and his skill as well as the model(s) who were in the frame.

I would request from all that we not take ourselves so seriously and relax about all of this. This is a freindly community and I hope to see it remain that way ... even if every "i" isn't dotted and every "t" isn't crossed.

I messed up. The best way to proceed on this is to just let it go and move on ... I believe.

That said ... the new theme is great. Let's exchange olive branches and let us all see each others work and remain friendly and excited about good photography.

It is only one person's opinion, but there is no prize money or other tangible prize for these ... I see it as just sharing great work. Denis AND Joy made a great picture and I am glad we were all able to see it and appreciate it.

For what it's worth ... hope my commentary on this situation is helpful.

Enjoy it.

Smile ... go kiss somebody you love.

:)

Matt

Next

Board index PBase Show and Tell 45 st Show and tell competition