Board index PBase Show and Tell WINNERS of the 68th Short and Tell competition: STEPS

Show and Tell

WINNERS of the 68th Short and Tell competition: STEPS

Announce and discuss your photos.
c_schweizer

WINNERS of the 68th Short and Tell competition: STEPS

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:03 am

The decision is made. The following winners have been chosen:

The third position goes to Andres Sanchez' 'Piazza San Marco':
A more symbolic touch is provided by Andres Sanchez image above ('Piazza San Marco'). Dry steps, giving your feet a firm ground, change into slippery moss-coated steps that finally lead into the plane water. These steps can be interpreted as successive phases of life, leading from the secure childhood into the risks of adolescence before the final jump into adult life. This is just one possible interpretation, there are others too, which I leave to your imagination. The composition is perfect, and so is the technical execution.

The second position is given to Brad Troy's 'U.S. Supreme Court Columns and Stairs #2':
In Brad Troy's 'U.S. Supreme Court Columns and Stairs #2' we have a younger version of the first image on the list - the one from Tim van Woensel. Let me explain this: T. van Woensel referred in his image to antique greek steps. Brad Troy, though, is referring to a building from the 19th century, yet the columns try to reconstruct an old Roman or Greek temple. Thus, these columns point into the past, accentuating the upleading steps as parts of a historical building, or - consequently - as parts of history. This context makes the observer wonder: Who are the people, who have climbed up these steps in the long timespace of history? Brad Troy has found a powerful setup to attach substantial architectural elements to the impact of the history, they are referring to. Again, presence and past as two dimensions of time, get effectfully linked to each other. The picture is not B&W, there are discrete coloured textures at the wall, although greyshades are dominating. The whole composition is airing firmness and harmony.

And here is the winner: Peter Voet with his 'Steep way up':
An obvious but nonetheless powerful interpretation is offered by Peter Voet's 'The steep way up'. The orange gowns of these Indian monchs attract the observer's eye immediately to the essential of the image: the hurdles taken to climb up into higher spheres, which are yet not shown. The symbolic message is highly visible. All needless elements are eliminated. This image is a fantastically elaborated representation of the religious mission behind it.

I wish you all Merry Christmas and a happy New Year! Claudia

terrybowker

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:38 am

Congratulations Peter! Great job everyone and a big thanks to Claudia!

ivinghoe

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:39 pm

Great choice
Very well done to all especially the finalists. I think Peter`s shot was my pick too
Al

troybj2

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:14 pm

Thanks for the recognition. My shot is an abstract that doesn't get much attention otherwise. If only I could have gotten a Justice to come out and climb the steps... :)

Please note that if the responsibility for the next competition falls to me, I must pass, as I will be out of town and away from computers for the next 5 days. Thank you.
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." ~Ansel Adams~
http://www.bradtroyphotography.com

woodstock1103

Post Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:06 pm

Claudia,

thanks for picking one of my entries as the winner of competition 68.
I value it specially because I hold the picture you chose as winner very dear. It was a magical moment in a very nice trip in Cambodia.

It will be a great honour to host the next competition. I have to think about a subject and I will be able to come up with one by tommorrow.

kind regards,

Peter

andres_sm

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:07 am

Claudia,

I feel so honored, first time i've been selected in a photo contest! I appreciate your kind words.

Andres

causerie

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:17 am

Congratulations Peter, a stunning image; and also well done to the other finalists.

Merry Christmas and a safe and enjoyable New Year to everyone at PBase.

fishit

Re: WINNERS of the 68th Short and Tell competition: STEPS

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:18 am

All good choices, the awards are well deserved.

ee66

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:15 am

Claudia,
Thanks for chosing one of my pictures for the final stage!
I think I wuld have chosen the same winner too... It is truly a stunning picture.
Well done everyone!

E.

ssolar23

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:19 am

Agree, I have been to the temple (Angkor) and saw the monks actually strutting down the stairs. These cambodian temple is just amazing.

Board index PBase Show and Tell WINNERS of the 68th Short and Tell competition: STEPS