Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Found a working Right Click Disable feature

HTML and Style Sheets

Found a working Right Click Disable feature

Customize your galleries.
a_zeitler

Found a working Right Click Disable feature

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:28 am

Paste this in every gallery description box AND every image caption box and the Right Click feature is actived.

<body oncontextmenu="alert('Photos and other marketing materials at this website are protected by copyright law. Please contact us regarding the use of these images.'); return false;">

The Text in the parenthesis can be changed accordingly.

Yes I know there are ways of retreiving the files from the Temporary Internet Files folder and that there are websites that break down every file on a webpage so they can be downloaded. But if this distracts 1 person from taking an image then it is worth the trouble of putting in/on every gallery and picture.

Enjoy

jimstiles

Right Click Disable Feature - Worked then didn't work again

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:24 am

Hmmm, I pasted the HTML into the caption of an image, then tested it and it worked. I went back in to modify the text in the parens, updated the image and now it won't work. I put the original HTML back in, even tried other images and can't get it to work again. Any suggestions?

Tx,
Jim

a_zeitler

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:44 am

make sure that the text has this around it.

('TEXT GOES HERE')

It should look like this:

<body oncontextmenu="alert('TEXT GOES HERE'); return false;">

I tried changing the text and removed one of the ' marks and it didn't work. I replaced that masrk and changed the text to whatever I wanted and it worked again. I would say to just double check the code and make sure that every piece of text or code is there that needs to be there. Hope it works for you.

tsienni

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:48 am

Great tips, thx!

alangrant

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:18 pm

If I try clicking on one of your images in Firefox, the message appears but when I click OK then the normal right-click menu appears anyway.

In IE it does disable the right-click menu. Unfortunately not just for the image but for the entire page, wrecking the navigation for those of us who use right-click to navigate all the time.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

a_zeitler

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:25 pm

I am using IE. I have never used Firefox, and do not plan to at this point. So I was unaware that this occured in Firefox. As for the deal with it disabling the right click on the gallery pages, that was my choice. It is not nessecary. I put the code on every image AND every gallery. If I were not to put the code in the gallery description section, right click would work there.

As I mentioned before, just because you and I (and many others) know all the tricks of taking items from others' webpages, doesn't mean everyone else does. If we have a client that is looking to buy pictures, and sees that they can take the image from the proof gallery, then clearly we will not sell that image. If this feature discourages them just once, or discourages only one person, I feel it has done its job.

I just thought someone else might enjoy the feature. Since I am new to the HTML aspect, I felt I would share what I learned. It isn't a huge break through but something I thought may become useful to some people.

Enjoy

alangrant

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:11 pm

I don't know if it happens to everyone using Firefox, it could be related to my specific settings.

Just out of curiosity, why put it on the gallery pages? Is there really a value in protecting 160-pixel thumbnails? When I'm looking at a root gallery with a lot of galleries, I always right-click on the galleries I want to look at, so I can choose "open in new tab" and keep the main gallery open in the original tab. If I was a potential client I'd leave your pages pretty quickly once those messages start appearing. Especially if I was using IE as it makes a horrible beeping sound.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

dang

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:08 am

Alan,
I think it came from this thread, so I'm assuming OS & browser will make a difference. http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight+click

jimstiles

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:56 am

Tried it again, and nope... doesn't work. :(

snwau

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:43 am

You have to question the usefulness of right-click disable, there are many ways to get around this (screen capture, browser temp/cache files, etc).

a_zeitler

Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:33 am

If you don't want to use the code because you know how to get around, then do not use it. Yes there are many ways to take an image/any file from a site. But elimintaing one way may just discourage some people from taking it.

alangrant,
after updating a gallery of mine I see how annoying that is when you cannot open the gallery in a new window. I am going to change it.

bkrownd

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:34 am

a_zeitler wrote:If you don't want to use the code because you know how to get around, then do not use it. Yes there are many ways to take an image/any file from a site. But elimintaing one way may just discourage some people from taking it.

Nobody has any need to "take" anything - you've already freely given it to them.

365digital

Post Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:03 am

SO SIMPLE TO USE THANKS FOR THE TIP TRY IT AND WORK AT THE FIRST TIME if you wanna do it also you can go to edit image and paste it on the caption box and that's good too thanks alot againg

vovka43r

Post Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:08 pm

Thank you for the great tip! It works fine and i'll insert this code in every picture on my gallery. :wink:

baine

Re: Found a working Right Click Disable feature

Post Tue May 06, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks, this is a most helpful tool

Baine

Next

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Found a working Right Click Disable feature