Board index PBase Show and Tell WINNER - 89th Show & Tell Competition - "Reading women"

Show and Tell

WINNER - 89th Show & Tell Competition - "Reading women"

Announce and discuss your photos.
hiero

WINNER - 89th Show & Tell Competition - "Reading women"

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Thanks to all who shared their images in this contest. Despite the admittedly difficult subject I have been able to select some very fine images here.

honourable mentions (in no particular order):

Family Christmas by Peter Stubley:
This image at first seems to depict a scene of a somewhat boring get together. But of course my mind was to restricted when thinking of reading women. I was thinking of books, but you can read anything of course. Actually this picture might be quite comforting: even when people's attention is totally sucked up by the computer screen, they feel the need to flock together round the table. There is still hope!

[Untitled] by David Ramos Martin:
While the previous image showed that you can read anything, this shows that you can read anywhere. It was especially revealing when I saw it first when slowly scrolling down the postings. First I saw the woman, reading, concentrated and relaxed. Then I saw the scooter only to discover a second later that it was a dummy. It is quite telling that this probably was the most comfortable place to sit and read...

TLV Yafo 4:30 PM by Michael Burlak:
In such bleak surroundings the best two thing you can do is to either distract yourself from the environment by reading or to distract yourself from the environment by ...... making pictures. And what a fine picture this is, very well seen and executed! BTW Michael who just joined PBase has some very nice galleries already, take a look for instance at his very stylish and original B&W work. I especially liked the latest works gallery.

3rd place
Immersed by Yen:
This image probably comes closest to what I was thinking of when starting this contest. The woman is fully relaxed, and as the title aptly tells us, totally immersed. The picture suggests that there is maybe an even more relaxed scene to be expected. When she puts her study book aside, grabs a fiction blockbuster and retreats to the hammock. Very well seen by Yen, who has great travel imagery, with stunning night photography, check out her galleries!

2nd place
blackNwhitetype by Amelia Merrick:
A very original self portrait, expressive and playful. I love the set up, with very well chosen objects and details. One of the commentors imagined the fish could well be present in a David Lynch film, and I agree. Amelia has a full gallery with more of these very original and funny portraits!

1st place, the winner:
reading by Jim Critchley:
This image is shocking and hopeful at the same time. Years of war and ongoing poverty in Sierra Leone probably caused that girls this age have still to start learning to read using very simple picture books. On the other hand their eagerness shows and is a hopeful sign. Reading, lots of it, is what is needed for any self esteem, freedom and poverty reduction. Luckily also the boys attend class: have a look at Jim's full educaid Sierra Leone gallery.

Thanks to all again and congratulations to you Jim, you have the honour to host the next contest!

Cheers,
Jeroen
Last edited by hiero on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

artandrevolution

Re: WINNER - 89th Show & Tell Competition - "Reading women"

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:33 pm

Thanks for the 2nd place spot and nice words! great images all around!!
"The role of the revolutionary artist is to make revolution irresistable"

monkeypainter

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:51 am

While the previous image showed that you can read anything, this shows that you can read anywhere. It was especially revealing when I saw it first when slowly scrolling down the postings. First I saw the woman, reading, concentrated and relaxed. Then I saw the scooter only to discover a second later that it was a dummy. It is quite telling that this probably was the most comfortable place to sit and read...

Thank you very much for the honourable mention. But I have to admit that it was staged, she's not really reading nor is that place comfortable to seat and read. Well... this is the magic of photography, it's just an illusion!

Thanx anyway!

jimcritchley

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Awesome, thank-you very much. Honour, as there were some great images. Will come up with the next contest shortly. :D :D

michaelburlakphotography

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:33 am

Thank you very much for the honorable mention.

Although the scenery's not so bleak - the Mediterranean's just behind:
http://www.pbase.com/michaelburlakphotography/image/99504962
Distracting myself is exactly what I was doing, while the lady I was with were watching the sunset experiencing somewhat of a moody spell ;-)
The photo is taken with none other than Olympus Stylus Epic 35mm f2.8 + XP2 - smallest and fastest p&s 35mm camera, my favorite "sidearm" and that of Helmut Newton Himself.
I just joined the Pbase - that's true, but my relationship with photography goes quite a while back. In 1986 (or so) when I was about 13 years old, I bought my first camera: http://www.rus-camera.com/camera.php?page=other&camera=agat18
I developed and printed all of the 72 frames of each film, using the equipment from my Father's darkroom.
Shortly thereafter I discovered girls, and photography was all but forgotten until the year 2001 ;-)
Since 2001 I shot, published, exhibited and sold some photographs (not more than a few decent ones per year:
http://www.pbase.com/michaelburlakphotography/the_greatest_hits )
In various places.
I shall try and assemble most of the worthwhile photos on Pbase going through the archives from oldest to most recent.
Meanwhile - I intend to keep shooting, believing my best photographs are yet to be made.
I do not quit my day job (Engineering), and intend to keep it that way, so as it prevents me from shooting "to order".
Photography is my way of self expression, rather more than a hobby, the way i communicate with the world. I do not shoot uninspired - takes the life out of the whole thing..
Pardon so many wolds.
Best Regards,
Mike Burlak

zainabdullah

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Congratulations to all the deserving winners :)
zain's photo gallery | http://pbase.com/zainabdullah
zain's photo blog | http://zainabdullah.wordpress.com

Board index PBase Show and Tell WINNER - 89th Show & Tell Competition - "Reading women"