Board index Equipment Film Cameras How long is the Film good for

Film Cameras

How long is the Film good for

dynamisoz

How long is the Film good for

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:43 pm

hi all....
i just bought a manual camera...Nikon FE Chrome...
and i was wondering ,,,when i load a film in the camera do i need to use that up the same day......or can it be left in the camera ,,say a week or two and then use up rest of the film???
will it degrade in quality???? or not

Thank you..

wolfeye

Re: How long is the Film good for

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:44 am

Film has an expiration date on the box. In general this is 2-3 years from the date you buy it, and assumes no exposure to heat or radiation during that time. Once in the camera the same rules apply. Even so, film will generally show no sign of degredation well past its expiration date as long as it has been kept cool.

Basically, put new film in the camera, and it'll be fine when you are done - unless you take one picture a year or somesuch. :)

snapperuk

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:45 pm

well traditionally the average camera owner - non enthusiast - would shoot one or two films a year - one at the christmas and/or birthday party and one on the summer holiday.
film is pretty robust, as is is your nikon camera. unless you soak it in the bath or stick it in the microwave you film should be just as good as it was when it was made.
its in the processing it needs to be handled professionally.

martin

captain_superlekker

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 pm

I agree - it is unlikely to deteriorate if the camera is good. I would not keep it in for longer than a year but I've bought old cameras with partially exposed film in after god knows how many years the film is fine! I think Black and White is more robust than colour, with colour neg more robus than slide.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras How long is the Film good for