Board index Photography Technical Questions Help with lens

Technical Questions

Help with lens

Discuss technical aspects of photography
purple007

Help with lens

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi all

I am looking at upgrading my camera .. right now I am using a Canon S2 IS .. looking at getting a Canon 40D ..
My question is .. I have a Eos Rebel S II .. and a 75-300 1:4-5.6 II lens .. can I use this lens with the 40D ..
and also would like your comments on this lens .. kinda new to this .. and I really enjoy photographie and would like to get more serious about it ..

Thanks
Rick

dang

Re: Help with lens

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:20 pm

All Canon EF, EF-L and EF-S series lenses are compatible with the 40D, and every Canon Digital SLR since the 300D. Exceptions are the older 10D, D30 & D60's which can't use the EF-S series... if I recall correctly. If not, someone please correct me. :wink:

As far as the lens goes, Canon makes different quality of lenses. The EF-S lenses are made to fit small sensor bodies with a 1.6 crop factor, otherwise comparable EF quality.
The EF lenses are entry level, so lack weather seal and higher quality corrective glass and general build which helps keep their price down.
The "L" series are considered Canon Pro, or Luxury lenses, which offer the best optics and sealing available from them.
All 3 series have some lenses with the addition of "Image Stabilization" which adds to their price.

Basically, the more you invest, the better the lens.

thelund

Re: Help with lens

Post Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:20 am

The 5D and 1D(s) cameras can not use EF-S either!

The EF 75-300mm is a decent lens, one of the better ones in the price range, which is low end though...
It will perform well if stopped down 1 or 2 stops, but more expensive teles will do somewhat better..!

Keep it for now and see if it lives up to whatever your needs are. If it can not and if you can afford it, buy a "L" lens! ;)

EDIT: Remember the sensor of the 40D is smaller than film size, so the field of view of your 75-300mm will look like a 120-480mm would on your old rebel.

Brian

Board index Photography Technical Questions Help with lens