Board index Photography Technical Questions rule of thirds grid with canon 40 d camera

Technical Questions

rule of thirds grid with canon 40 d camera

Discuss technical aspects of photography
samiramis

rule of thirds grid with canon 40 d camera

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:40 pm

Where can I buy a grid to make the screen have 9 blocks for the rule of thirds?

I don't think Canon 40d has a grid to do this.

Thank you

dang

Re: rule of thirds grid with canon 40 d camera

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:08 pm

You should be able to buy another screen directly from Canon if you want to "grid" it yourself.

Otherwise, there's a site which has been making split screens for a long time, but I believe Canon is now producing them for many models at a lesser price. You might contact them though, and see if they'll make one special for you: http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Katz-Eye-Focusing-Screen-for-the-Canon-40D--prod_40D.html
There may be other companies I'm not aware of, so try using Google and see what you find. :wink:

tringhenge

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:59 pm

Canon make this one. I got one to stop me shooting wonky horizons. Easy to fit, takes 60 seconds!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF-D-Camera-Focusing-Screen/dp/B000V9B8RO

brandproductions

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:23 am

Hey Sam,

The Canon 40D does have a nine block grid setting that you can enable in the menu however it is restricted to live view mode only.

While in one of your artistic settings (Av, TV, M etc...) press menu>settings 2 (6 menus from the left. Its a yellow wrench with two dots onthe upper right corner) >Live View funciton settings (press set)> Grid display (on). Im not sure how familiar you are with the 40D but I love the live view mode for manual focusing. The grid helps too. I hope this helps with what you're looking for. If not then disregard entirely. : )

~Kenny

rileypm

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:19 am

Wow! You really need a grid to compose a photograph using rule of thirds format?

prinothcat

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:53 pm

rileypm wrote:Wow! You really need a grid to compose a photograph using rule of thirds format?

I kinda wondered that myself.. I will freely admit to having the grid turned on for my D-200, though, because it provides me with a visible reminder to check my horizontals and verticals. So if it helps then there's no reason not to do it.

tringhenge

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:52 pm

rileypm wrote:Wow! You really need a grid to compose a photograph using rule of thirds format?

Personally I suffer from wonky horizon syndrome ;)

brandproductions

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:31 am

I think we all suffer from "wonkey horizon syndrom." Thank god for post processing.

Board index Photography Technical Questions rule of thirds grid with canon 40 d camera