Board index PBase Show and Tell WINNERS - 96th Show & Tell competition : "INTERIORS"

Show and Tell

WINNERS - 96th Show & Tell competition : "INTERIORS"

Announce and discuss your photos.
mardoli

WINNERS - 96th Show & Tell competition : "INTERIORS"

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:55 pm

First of all I’d like thanking all of you for taking part in the competition;
it was an interesting and enriching experience for me perusing so many photos,
different in style and inspiration, but all really worthy an attentive look.

The way this competition is structured is intriguing, because the result is based on only one person’s personal judgement.
I ask all the photographers, whose work I will not mention, to not feel disappointed for that,
because it must not be taken as a negative signal of their photography value,
it simply means that, for many different reasons, but all equally limited to my individual opinion,
some pictures have impressed me more than others, probably because they are closer to my tastes and my perception of photography in general.

I have tried to be objective and to motivate my choice.

First of all I excluded the photos which to me seemed being a little out of theme.

Actually when I suggested the theme I stated:
“Please, submit only photos which have been taken indoors, with a special importance given to the atmosphere.....
Try to describe visually the cosy feeling, the light effects, the calm, and the emotions.”

I meant to say that the theme would have been the visual expression of a sentiment of cosiness indoors, with evocative light, calm and emotions.

The majority of you submitted photos had all these features and it was really hard to choose among them.

Then I tried also to value the technical qualities of the photos, not only the creativity of the idea.

At the end I simply followed instinctively my personal irrational feelings which drove me more to a photo rather than to another.

Here are the photos which receive my Honourable Mention:

By Bruna K.

by Marcus Grompe

by Ernst van Loon

by Michael Burlak

by Dierk Topp

by Claude

by Rob Legeland

by Margaret Lew

by Eric Herbelin

by Claudia Schweizer

by Aldeca

And now the Winners:

Third Place

by William Von Gonten
The original element in this well composed photo is the presence of the man at the bottom of the pillar.
It gives the right sense of the dimension and makes the whole scene more meaningful.
The vertical sober and bit overwhelming lines of gothic architecture, the shadows on the left and the light from the impressive stained glass window would not give such a vibrant effect without the contrast of the small sitting man. The composition becomes suddenly much deeper, with a real sense on interiority, both architectural and psychological.
My congratulations, William!

Second Place

by ATucker
I love the atmosphere of this photo, a bit minimalist, but also quite effective. It suggests many questions, lets us imagine many possible stories and show a well balanced contraposition between indoors and outdoors elements. I would have adored seeing it in colours, but once again it’s only my personal taste.
It’s a photo perfectly suitable for the theme and nicely taken.
Very good work indeed!

First Place

“Fun Forgotten Summer Days”
by C. Ann How

It was really difficult to choose the winner among the three selected photos for the first places.
Then I decided to follow only my personal sensitiveness and my choice was this picture,
which fits the theme perfectly and has a little magic soft light,
a warm and golden hue which gives exactly the feeling of nostalgic cosiness that I was looking for into an indoors scene.
The harmony of tones is another element which attracted my attention and the use of the light as well.
I deeply like this composition.

So, C. Ann, you’ll have the pleasure to host the next “Show & Tell” competition,
since you are the winner of this 96th one.

Thanks to all of you.
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

terrybowker

Re: WINNERS - 96th Show & Tell competition : "INTERIORS"

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:29 pm

Congratulations to Ann; great job Marisa!

mclew

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:04 pm

Marisa,

Many thanks for the honorable mention!

Margaret

dapascha

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Nice shots and nice choices! Congratulations to all the winners..

claude_m

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:48 am

Thank you very much Marisa for your comments on the 3 finalists , it is very interesting to read your analyse
Also many thanks for the honorable mention to a (aged) newbie named "claude" !
claude mathon

claude_m

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:52 am

Ann,

Congratulation , your success is a opportunity for me to discover your galleries !
claude

ernst

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:44 pm

Hi Marisa,
Thank you for the honorable mention! I feel flattered to be in your final selection. :D

treas

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:53 pm

Ann, congratulations! Your first place photograph illustrates beautiful composition as well as your eye for art. Also congrats to Tucker and William great shots both! It had to have been difficult judging, so many fantastic entries.

I would also like to say thank you to Mardoli for a beautifully ran contest. Your critiques were wonderful and insightful.
You obviously took hosting the contest seriously and I for one appreciate the time and effort you put forth.

Treas

seeannimage

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:16 pm

I am very honored that my image was chosen as Winner by Marisa whose artistic eye and images are very enviable.
Thank you Marisa!
To fellow PBasers: thank you for your comments! I really am blown away by the
incredible work on PBase! I am a newer member and still finding my way around here - and my
work is now also here for your finding. Hope to have you visit my galleries - a work in constant progress.
:D

C Ann

agroni

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:42 pm

congrats to the winners ;)

rob_lego

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:48 pm

Thank you very much for the Honourable Mention, Marisa. And also thanks for the extensive explanation you gave of the analysis you did during the process of judging.

And of course: Congratulations to the winners!

Cheers, Rob

pajamacat

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:19 pm

Thanks some much for the honor of being the 3rd place winner. Gives me a big shot in the arm!! Can't wait to grab the old camera and shoot some more. PS. I wonder if that poor man at the bottom of the pillar realizes how many people around the world saw his picture!!

aldeca

Post Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:06 pm

Congratulations to the winners!
And thank you very much for the Honourable Mention.

Regards to all participants,

Alex

cjphipps_servo

Post Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:47 am

Congratulations to all! Well done, Ann!
Much thanks to you, Marisa, for hosting this event.
Carol

Next

Board index PBase Show and Tell WINNERS - 96th Show & Tell competition : "INTERIORS"