Board index Photography Technical Questions Phoenix lens questions

Technical Questions

Phoenix lens questions

Discuss technical aspects of photography

djwixx

Re: Phoenix lens questions

Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:41 pm

I have no idea but I think the price says it all. Look at standard lenses offered by Nikon/Canon/Tokina/Tamron/Sigma and the prices - why the huge difference? If quality lenses were that easy and that cheap to make, we'd all be walking around with suitcases full of equipment :D

Reading reviews says don't bother. A TC will always degrade the quality of any shot and this relies on a 2X which is certain to give bad results. To keep it stable enough you'll need a tripod that costs more than the lens, which would actually be a better investment in the first place!

prinothcat

Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:25 am

I see three things
1) long focal length, not a hand holder
2) No rated F/stop and no aperture control
3) low cost

Ok that's 4 really. Only two people have anything to say about it on amazon? Run it through google and see what pops up.
If quality lenses were that easy and that cheap to make, we'd all be walking around with suitcases full of equipment

this really says all that need be said.

brandproductions

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:25 am

I have a pheonix 2x teleconverter that was given to me by a friend along with some other gear. Ive used it once (let me emphasize once because I took it off almost immediately) with a sigma 28-200 f/3.5-5.6. Admittedly I haven't given it much of a chance but I felt that the loss in quality and functionality of the lense was not worth the extra focal length but thats just a personal stance. In addition, the piece feels cheaply made with almost a plasticy feel. I wouldnt count on it to be super reliable and hold up to any abuse.

However, if money isnt an issue then the price perfect if you're simply looking to experiment. Heres a short consumer review I found with a few sample pictures. I quote from the bottom of the review "it is almost unsuable with a 2X." He compares the lense to more of a telescope than a camera lense.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1020&message=18284841

Anyway, I think Dave and Prinothcat said everything else worth mentioning so no need to expand on anything they wrote. Just decide for youself and good luck.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Phoenix lens questions