Board index Photography Technical Questions glaring issue

Technical Questions

glaring issue

Discuss technical aspects of photography
jfordhufffman

glaring issue

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:45 pm

Hello,

I am photographing some art boxes that have glass and or plexiglass fronts. I do not have proper studio gear, so I am trying to make them look as professional as possible given the gear I have. I am using a D200 and window light. I have tried using a polarizing filter (example #1) with little effect on the glare issues. I have also included an example without the filter (example #2).

The filter used on example #1 is a Cir-PL.

No filter used on example #2

I am not much of a tech head, but wanted to ask the PBasers for any ideas or advice to help me fix or minimize my glare problem. I am doing this as a favor for a friend, but I still want these boxes to look as professional as possible.

Thanks for any input or ideas.

EXAMPLE 1

EXAMPLE 2

djwixx

Re: glaring issue

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:07 am

The CP will only have any real benefit if the light is at 90 degrees, so will only help if the angle the light is coming in is correct and can be adjusted by turning the front of the filter to remove the glare. You might want to time the shots when the light source is not coming in directly through the window or use lighting in the room and move the object so you don't have direct light on them. Walk around the window and see if you can block out the areas the glare is coming from. Alternatively close the curtains/blinds and take a long exposure on a tripod. The ISO and shutter speed already suggest poor light so you might want a tripod anyway. Looking at the examples also suggest you're focusing on the glass rather than the content. Manually focusing on the content and not the glass might remove half the problem as you won't effectively be capturing the glass and glare with the background being captured as a result of the depth of field at F6.3. Try a wider aperture and check what your focus point is.

jfordhufffman

Re: glaring issue

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:05 pm

I am happy to report this issue was solved. Take a look and see if you agree. Thanks for the advice. I am the photographer (writing this post). J Ford Huffman is the artist. I think you might enjoy the many stories presented in his work. It was enjoyable to photograph his collection.

http://www.pbase.com/jfordhufffman/stages

Board index Photography Technical Questions glaring issue