Board index Photography Technical Questions Help.. Getting noise on Nikon D300 ???

Technical Questions

Help.. Getting noise on Nikon D300 ???

Discuss technical aspects of photography
photoascoli

Help.. Getting noise on Nikon D300 ???

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:14 am

Please help..
Why do I get so much noise with my Nikon D300 on indoor images?
I use the camera defaults, Auto Program, with Manually selected ISO.
Do you have any suggestions? solutions?

Have a look here: http://www.pbase.com/photoascoli/experiments

See the green noise on the plane fuselage. Is that acceptable? In camera RAW it looks even worse.
It seems that most of the noise is when I shoot indoors. On Noise test-3 closeup there is a noise on the subject face, near the eyes. this is at 100% enlargement.
Any explanation? Suggestion?

Thank you! I appreciate any help.

Dov

prinothcat

Re: Help.. Getting noise on Nikon D300 ???

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:18 pm

in this image are you seeing noise or is it reflected light off the green grass(?) that is seen at the left edge. I would bet it's green reflected or refracted light as opposed to actual noise. I think this because of it's diffuse nature as opposed to distinct pixels that do not have relevance to the image. Hard to judge for sure. In my mind noise is blobs and blotches of pixels that have no tonal relation to those that surround them.

Another thought. Is there flourescent lighting in that building? How dominate is it? You may be seeing the green cast of the lights as interpreted by the cameras white balance. To get the colors exactly right you may have to use a different white balance, perhaps even a custom value set using the WB PRE setting on the camera.

photoascoli

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:08 pm

Thanks Chris,

You could be right about the flourecent lighting and the White Balance selection. It was not so bad with similar pictures I took in Seattle Museum of flight. I will do some more tests to verify it.
By the way, I noticed that you use outdoors many time ISO 100 with low camera shutter speed. You got beautiful results!

thanks for your support.

Dov

prinothcat wrote:in this image are you seeing noise or is it reflected light off the green grass(?) that is seen at the left edge. I would bet it's green reflected or refracted light as opposed to actual noise. I think this because of it's diffuse nature as opposed to distinct pixels that do not have relevance to the image. Hard to judge for sure. In my mind noise is blobs and blotches of pixels that have no tonal relation to those that surround them.

Another thought. Is there flourescent lighting in that building? How dominate is it? You may be seeing the green cast of the lights as interpreted by the cameras white balance. To get the colors exactly right you may have to use a different white balance, perhaps even a custom value set using the WB PRE setting on the camera.

prinothcat

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:29 am

photoascoli wrote:Thanks Chris,

You could be right about the flourecent lighting and the White Balance selection. It was not so bad with similar pictures I took in Seattle Museum of flight. I will do some more tests to verify it.
By the way, I noticed that you use outdoors many time ISO 100 with low camera shutter speed. You got beautiful results!

thanks for your support.

Dov

Thanks Dov. I'm a product of my background (film) I guess, just used to low ISO and a steady (I hope..) hand or tripod. VR lenses sure do help though. As to the lighting, I bet the dominant light in those photos was from those glass doors up front and the reflected green was more predominant. Toss in some overhead flouresent light and you get green cast.... Those are the Spruce Goose which is in Portland are they not?

photoascoli

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:35 am

Chris,

Yes this was taken at the Evergreen Museum http://www.pbase.com/photoascoli/evergreen_aviation

Dov

Board index Photography Technical Questions Help.. Getting noise on Nikon D300 ???