Board index Photography Technical Questions MINOLTA HELP!!!

Technical Questions

MINOLTA HELP!!!

Discuss technical aspects of photography
mymilkshakes

MINOLTA HELP!!!

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:25 pm

i have a minolta xg1. and i was wondering if its possible to keep the lense and put it on a different kind of minolta camera???
im not really sure what the lense is called... a rokkor... something?
-thanks.

castledude

Re: MINOLTA HELP!!!

Post Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:00 am

You can buy adapters to use it on many camera types. Look for Minolta MD mount adapter.

A quick google search shows adapters for Sony (obviously), Canon and Olympus.

madlights

Post Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:00 am

It should be possible to put it on any manual focus Minolta...if it's an MC lens there are certain things it won't do on an MD mount but will work. As far as adapting to other brands of cameras, the Minolta lens sits closer to the focal plane and needs a very expensive, and not very good adapter to work with a Canon or Nikon for example (The adapter contains internal optics) although I saw a guy adapt Minoltas to a 300d in a pretty simple way. But I do remember using both MC and MD lenses on my manual focus bodies. The MD can operate in the shutter priority mode of cameras so equipped such as the X-700. The rokkor lens series was in general very good glass. There are ways to do it with many autofocus Minolotas here's a link
http://www.jwhubbers.nl/mug/af-tips.html

veto

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:05 pm

Although there will be some functions that will not operate, as was posted the glass is quite good. The biggest thing to be aware of is the level of multicoating as it is an image improver for certain. The lens can be mounted on cameras as advanced as the Sony which has taken the Konica/Minolta business in hand which was Minolta. That being said it would be a negative situation in that the cost of the Sony body and the limitations imposed by the old lens would negate any saving of not purchasing a lens. Minolta had a brief affiliation with Leica and that is when their lens quality leaped ahead of some others. I currently use manual focus MC and MD lenses on my Maxxum 7D as I have been into the Minolta brand since leaving Pentax in the early 80s. I also have auto focus lenses of 24X36mm format which increase magnification ratio due to the sensor of the 7D which is of APS size, my 200mm f/2.8 becomes a 300. So there definitely are reasons to go that route however they are highly individualized.

Board index Photography Technical Questions MINOLTA HELP!!!