Board index Photography Technical Questions Polarising filters

Technical Questions

Polarising filters

Discuss technical aspects of photography
chestersgallery

Polarising filters

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:07 pm

Im looking to buy polarising filter for a 77mm lens attatchment. Prices vary from £10 to £120, I know that better quality glass will cost more but I didn't expect to see this amount of price difference. Can anyone recomend what price is a reasonable price for a PL filter. I don't have very expensive lenses so Im guessing that paying for very expensive filters would be pointless. And has anyone bought a ten pounds one from ebay, and if so how good or bad is it. My appologies for yet another shopping question.

thelund

Re: Polarising filters

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:50 am

I'd stick with multicoated filters as a minimum!
Even hoyas basic filters are coated and not too expensive, HMC and super HMC have even better coatings, but unless the price difference is not too big you can stick to the basic filters if you like.

I had a cheap hama filter, which was not THAT cheap actually, something like £20-30, it was okay but it came apart after i used it a lot... My newer hoyas feel better mechanically.

Of course B&W is quality too, but they are more expensive aswell.

Brian

moxfactor

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:35 am

Hoya pro if you can afford it. the much thinner mount ring does make a difference (slightly less vignetting at wider angles on a DX camera, more if you're using an FX)

mine costed around $75USD in Hong Kong...

mlpilot

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:32 pm

I would also recommend HOYA filters. First I used Henrys filters (from Canadian photo/video store), but it turned out to be a crappy filter. With a 28-80mm lens it was alright. But with my 70-300mm lens all pictures were blury. First I thought of my lens was faulty, but then did some tests and it was a filter's fault. Now I'm using Hoya Super HMC, and the difference is clearly visible. I paid around 70 EURO for Hoya. Expensive, but getting a good expensive lens and cheap filter makes no sense.
---
Bodies: Nikon F90x + MB-10 + MF-26; F70; F65, Zenith 11
Glass: Nikkor 50; 28-80; 70-300; Sigma 24-70
Flash: Nikon SB-28; 2x SB-22s; 2x SU-4
Scanner: Nikon COOLSCAN V LS-50
---
Mateusz, Matthew or Matt - whichever you prefer.

chestersgallery

Post Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks so much for the help on this folks, bought myself a Hoya circular polarizer last week. It was good going into the shop with all the knowledge already at hand thanks to you guys. My first few shots with it are on my PAD.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Polarising filters