Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Slideshow and text next to each other

HTML and Style Sheets

Slideshow and text next to each other

Customize your galleries.
maartenvankempen

Slideshow and text next to each other

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:44 pm

Dear fellow Pbasers,

If I put the following code in my description box, the text is centered under the slideshow, which is also centered:

<DIV ALIGN="center">
SLIDESHOW(favourites, delay=3)
Welcome to my website!<BR><BR>
Here you can find a selection of my nature images, which are all made in The Netherlands.<BR>
All photos are copyrighted and cannot be used for any purpose without my permission.<BR> If you want to use a photo for commercial or private use, please contact me by sending an e-mail to: mvknature@gmail.com<BR><BR>
Enjoy your visit!</DIV>

My question is: what do I have to change to put my intro text next to the slideshow, instead of having the text under the slideshow?
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Maarten van Kempen
http://www.pbase.com/maartenvankempen

dang

Re: Slideshow and text next to each other

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:26 am

Hi Maarten,
You'll need to add a table, similar to below:

Code: Select all
<center>
  <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=1 width="95%" border=1>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD>SLIDESHOW(favourites, delay=3)</TD>
    <TD>Welcome to my website!<BR><BR>
Here you can find a selection of my nature images, which are all made in The Netherlands.<BR>
All photos are copyrighted and cannot be used for any purpose without my permission.<BR> If you want to use a photo for commercial or private use, please contact me by sending an e-mail to: mvknature@gmail.com<BR><BR>
Enjoy your visit!</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></center>

You can remove the boarder by changing "border=1" to "border=0", and adjust the width and spacing as needed in the top section.

Hope this helps.

flemmingbo

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:28 am

Tables work fine, doing the layout 100% by CSS with no tables is another way which I prefer. A lot cleaner code and it's actually a lot easier to design as every single design element is in the css, the html just has text and links.

If you're just starting out then go with tables though, takes a long time to learn enough css to do css layouts with DIV's etc.

best regards, happy shooting!

Flemming
Flemming Bo Jensen Photography
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/flemmingbo
My photography blog: http://flemmingbo.wordpress.com

maartenvankempen

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:54 pm

@Dang: Thanks for your help, that's just what I wanted! After a few changes it fits well, great!
@Flemmingbo: Once I'll problably create a complete css, but at the moment I'm still going to school and I haven't enough time to do so.
Webdev fits well for the moment, with a few changes.

Kind regards,
Maarten van Kempen
www.pbase.com/maartenvankempen

dang

Post Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi Maarten,
You're welcome, glad it helped. One thing I might suggest, if you don't mind, is to check your page using various screen resolutions and browsers to be safe. Webdev (especially) can act differently in IE compared to Firefox. :wink:

maartenvankempen

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:27 pm

Hi Dang,

I know the Webdev mouse-over doesn´t work Firefox, but are there more problems/differences than only that?
I have two computer screens, but they both have the same resolution.
At school, all things look well, but I must say I don't know what screen resolution those screens have.

By the way, would you suggest using Firefox instead of IE?

Regards,
Maarten

dang

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi Maarten,
For working with styles, Firefox if by far better. I personally prefer it for browsing, most compelling reasons are the additional add-on's, such as the web developer tool bar: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13408

As for the web dev sheet, yes there is another problem that pops up occasionally. Sometimes various browsers show white speckles in the enlarged photos. For this reason, be sure the background behind them is black.

Screen resolution can be changed in your computer settings.
1. Close your browser so you're viewing your opening screen.
2. Right Click the screen and a pop up box appears.
3. Click "Properties" in the list
4. Click the "Settings" tab at the top of the new box

You'll see a resolution adjustment. Reset and review the page.

maartenvankempen

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Hi Dang,

I´m going to download Firefox and I´ll see if it works fine. And probably I´ll try to create/modify a css, but that seems to be difficult for me...
Maybe it's best if I start editing a stylesheet? In that case, I have something to start with and I just need to modify the things I want to be modified.

Kind regards,
Maarten

Edit: After downloading Firefox , I'm sure I'm going to modify a stylesheet... :o
The thumbnails are ruined, so the slideshow and the title bar don't fit anymore.

maartenvankempen

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi Dang,

After trying some css I think the lay-out looks well now in both Firefox and IE. (Especially the thumbnails.)
Firefox and the Webdev bar work great!
I thank you for your support in all this and any more suggestions/critics are most welcome.

Regards,
Maarten

dang

Post Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:01 pm

Hi Maarten,
Looks great on Firefox at 1024. Nice work on the style, and your shots are well worth viewing.
Keep up the good work!

Board index PBase HTML and Style Sheets Slideshow and text next to each other