Board index Photography Technical Questions Nikon D70 exposure compensation

Technical Questions

Nikon D70 exposure compensation

Discuss technical aspects of photography
advntr8

Nikon D70 exposure compensation

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Does anyone know of a simple way on a nikon D70, to expose for the background (i.e., bright sky) so that it does not over expose and then shoot the subject so that both come into correct exposure (using the flash of course). I just get the blinkies with an over exposed sky and can't figure out a quick way to adjust / compensate....sorry for my ignorance, any help is appreciated.

prinothcat

Re: Nikon D70 exposure compensation

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:16 pm

I think what you are looking for is the slow sync setting for the flash. It allows the camera read the entire scene then expose for the subject, instead of just using the flash as primary illumination. This is also known as "fill flash". I have a D200 so I'm not sure this is going to be the same, but it ought to be. On the housing, next to or below the button that releases the built in flash, there may be a button with a crooked arrow. Hold this button in, and by rotating the rear command dial change the flash settings. There ought to be a small square icon with the same crooked arrow in the top right corner of the LCD. You want that icon to read "slow", or "slow" with the eyeball, indicating it's in no red eye as well. This should get you the result you are looking for. This setting will work with the onboard flash or a shoe mount. Your D70 may be different, but you should have a slow sync setting available. If the method I described does not apply check the manual for flash settings, fill flash or slow sync. Using that same button but rotating the front command dial should give you flash compensation. This increases or decreases the exposure by controlling the intensity of the flash. Both methods ought to help you achieve your goal.
Hope this helps, Chris

waynef

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:00 am

Slow Sync would help to balance flash with dim indoor illumination, but it will have no effect outdoors in daylight. All Slow Sync does is to remove the 1/60 second minimum shutter speed (menu #21) when flash is used with camera A or P mode. This would allow slower shutter speeds to bring up the ambient light indoors in a dim room. But outside in daylight, the shutter speed is already faster than this minimum menu.

In daytime outdoor light, you want to start with camera P mode. We must expose the daylight properly, and P mode should do that. A or S modes could do it too.

Is this the camera popup flash, or an external speedlight? The D70 popup is in its iTTL Balanced fill flash mode automatically, in P, S, or A modes, so long as you don't select Spot Metering. Spot metering cannot be balanced. With an external flash, outdoors set it to TTL BL mode (indoors, always set it to TTL mode).

First test with a shot with flash door shut or the flash power turned off. You get some result.. If the daylight ambient is too bright or too dark, adjust it with Exposure compensation (outside button by shutter button), to get a proper daylight exposure, like you want it.

Then turn on the flash, and test that. If the flash is too bright, lower it with Flash compensation (see manual, this is the flash door button on D70, its scale is in the top LCD). Often about -1 EV compensation is about right for fill flash. Set it for the result that you want. Next time will be very much easier, and following time will be automatic. Or you can practice this in your back yard tomorrow.

Don't forget you have changed compensations, restore them to zero when done.

advntr8

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:39 pm

Thanks both of you for replying. I think both replies will be helpful. Now all I need is some time to get shooting! Thanks again!
Mike

Board index Photography Technical Questions Nikon D70 exposure compensation