Board index PBase Feature Requests PBASE Improvements

Feature Requests

PBASE Improvements

Request changes or modifications.
jaia

PBASE Improvements

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:04 pm

Pbase is a reference place for many Photographers, but in last two years , period when I am inside, I haven't seen few or null improvement. As example of lack of features :

Search by Author . It is not possible actually (a search in Google gives you better results) Pbase said me that is posible as far as each photo is edited with the Author name inside.
Search : The results can't be refined with more criteria as camera or country.

Speed in uploads : It takes a long period to upload a small gallery ; Use of Unzip needed to upload

Interface to edit galleries : Nothing of drag & drop , but alphanumeric interface ( so many button ; numeric order photos/galleries, ....)

PBASE magazine : Not updated in one year . Someone said that magazine is done by collaborators and not by PBASE team , but I think that a star feature displayed at Home must be updated more frequently.

I hope some improvement in features during 2009 will be done , otherwise I will consider migrating to other place

photopropaganda

Re: PBASE Improvements

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm joining PBase not so long by now. But I feel what you mean.
There was an interesting discussion on DPreview (a well known camera and photography related site) about another user moving from PBase to Zenfolio. His problem was lack of speed and connection time outs, I haven't had those problems anymore for months. PBase is working well for me, not sure about other parts of the world.

Search by author: ...well I can find myself, using the frontpage searchbox, righttop, when typing in my family name.
I think the search item is already quite good in PBase, it's a bit messy sometimes, especially the camera database and whats in and whats not.
I have no upload speed problems (Netherlands here...)
The interface, I agree it is a 'bit' spartan, but it works well and it is simple in use...I keep it on a retro look :wink:
About that magazine, I asked that question some months ago, had contact with the external editor (he as all the others have no direct relation with PBase Team) about that, and if all goes well there will be a new magazine earlier this year, I hope to be part of it as well :wink:

My main problem that many of us users have many good ideas to improve PBase and that only to the minor things is paid attention. Also the promises keep promises..but hey it is a new year with new chances. :wink: But more customer feedback is needed for sure, otherwise I expect an exodus of users, that's not what I hope the PBase Team want to see happen as some people think.

jaia wrote:Pbase is a reference place for many Photographers, but in last two years , period when I am inside, I haven't seen few or null improvement. As example of lack of features :

Search by Author . It is not possible actually (a search in Google gives you better results) Pbase said me that is posible as far as each photo is edited with the Author name inside.
Search : The results can't be refined with more criteria as camera or country.

Speed in uploads : It takes a long period to upload a small gallery ; Use of Unzip needed to upload

Interface to edit galleries : Nothing of drag & drop , but alphanumeric interface ( so many button ; numeric order photos/galleries, ....)

PBASE magazine : Not updated in one year . Someone said that magazine is done by collaborators and not by PBASE team , but I think that a star feature displayed at Home must be updated more frequently.

I hope some improvement in features during 2009 will be done , otherwise I will consider migrating to other place

jaia

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:05 am

Bye Bye PBASE

As a 3 year subscriber , I am pleased with PBASE by its big audience , and by quality of photos , but the improvements I have seen during this time has been minimum, mainly as corrective actions to maintain operation of the system.

The capability of PBASE to implement new demands on features has been very limited , in a area where the users have more and more webs to post photos.

12 months ago I write a post with some of the features I need to improve . Now all these features are in the same status : not implemented. I think the capability of reneval of PBASE is out.

This is the reason I don't have renewed my subscription of PBASE.

jaia

american_imagery

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:01 am

jaia wrote:in last two years , period when I am inside, I haven't seen few or null improvement.

As a three year subscriber, I can say that I have seen very little in the way of substantial improvements. Aside from the BIG CRASH and the upgrades they were forced to impliment due to that latest Melt Down, I think most all New Impliment Requests have fallen on deaf ears. How long have PBase users been screaming for a Photo Sales option like most all the other sites have had implimented for years now?

I am left to think that PBase is running on autopilot without anyone in control unless the thing melts down and someone has to take the time and come in to fix it. They can't even check their mail on a timely maner. I do not send credit card info over the internet so I pay my PBase subscription via check/snail mail. Every Time it has taken them close to a month to get around to posting my payment and adding my 12 credits. Maybe they don't come around town but once every month.

Anyway, I really don't expect much more from PBase beyond what you have here, now. I think they have lost interest and all it is, is an income that they don't want to spend any more time or effert on than they absolutely have to. Just think what it could be if someone took it over that had some vision.

ssim

Post Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:04 pm

I have been a subscriber for a long time and it serves it purpose but I agree that there has been no great improvements, mostly maintenance and scrambling after server issues. Pbase is the site that could be, but won't be. It won't be as long the current management structure stays intact. Ambivalence is not what you want in the leader of your business and that is exactly what we have. Pbase was in existence before Flickr came to be and look where they are at. They marketed themselves, they ensured up time, all in all they give you the appearance that they care about their customers. That my friends, is what I feel is the crux of the problem here.

napier

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:55 am

I have been with PBase since 2004 (time flies), it is one of the best photography hosting site then. The technology scene has changed dramatically and there are so many hosting site these day that is free of charge. Over times I have built my tiny online photo album and all of my pictures recorded the moment in my life.

I believe there some people in this PBbase family may feel the same sentiment like me. I do not seek you to be at the leading edge but please keep in tandem of what is available, trailing is fine with me.

I am using my iPhone4 often these days because of it comes really handy for the spur moment (i don't have my SLR with me all the time).

I sincerely hope some thought to develop an app is in the pipe line.

A PBase user from Singapore

kleine

Re: PBASE Improvements - Privacy totally inadequate

Post Tue May 03, 2011 2:44 pm

A warning to all Pbase users : PBase has been posting photos to my public profile page which are marked "private" (i.e. are in a password protected gallery or marked as non-public at the gallery level or the image level). This has been the case not only for galleries marked private but for the relevant sub-galleries which should also be private. Pbase has been working with me on this issue for about a week and has still been unable to solve it -- I still have photos of my family and children which are marked private appearing publicly on the web under my name. I urge you all to look into this issue if you care about privacy -- to see which randomly generated photos Pbase puts on your profile (which of course requires logging out).

I have used Pbase for many years and am frankly stunned at how unhelpful they have been in solving this problem, and how unapologetic that my private images are splashed all over the internet.

Board index PBase Feature Requests PBASE Improvements