Board index Other Travel California Travel Tips, please

Travel

California Travel Tips, please

wesdot

California Travel Tips, please

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:22 am

We are planning a 3 week trip in April to Half Moon Bay (for the big waves), Big Sur, Death Valley, Mono Lake, Bodie & Yosemite. Any tips or spots along the way that we should hit. I know some of these spots could take up at least a week each but we have to make do. We've only been to Big Sur & a very quick trip through Yosemite so it will all be new.
Thanks for any info or tips you might share.....and oh yeh, any of your favorite shots from there.

carylwithay

Re: California Travel Tips, please

Post Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:11 am

I live near Half Moon Bay. I think the big waves are in Dec through Feb or perhaps March but not April. Driving down Highway 1 from Half Moon Bay is quite beautiful. It is a good way to get to Big Sur with lots of photo ops along the way.
Caryl
see my gallery at: pbase.com/carylwithay

gillettecraig

Re: California Travel Tips, please

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:58 am

You'll need to be aware that many of the Sierra passes are closed in winter. To get to the east side of the Sierra, places like Bodie (roads to Bodie off main highways may not be drivable due to snow), Mono Lake, which should be accessible from 395 and highways to the north and south although local snow conditions or storms may change that), you will need to drive to the north, then east from the Sacramento area via US 50 to South Lake Tahoe and/or US 80 over Donner Pass, then to 395 and south, or south, maybe over Walker Pass or more likely 58 over Tehachapi Pass via Bakersfield. It's been a while since checking but either of those routes would add several hundred miles (both ways) to the itinerary. You can get to the west side of the Sierra and Yosemite Valley, a few other portions of Yosemite, parts of Sequoia/Kings Canyon, etc. High country sections will be closed.

However, depending on conditions, lower elevation areas in much of the state may well be in full spring green up and spring flower displays may be intense.

Board index Other Travel California Travel Tips, please