Board index Equipment Film Cameras New to film - help!

Film Cameras

New to film - help!

lezjacobs

New to film - help!

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:49 pm

I am new to film, having recently purchased a Leica M7 with a 35 and 50 lens. I appreciate the build of the camera and the fact that it is small and not threatening. I like to take people and street shots in B & W. The problem is that all the shots that I take are really terrible. Especially compared to what I see on this site. Could anyone out there advise me on a site that gives the necessary advice on how to begin mastering this camera? Any help will be most appreciated.

agripix

Re: New to film - help!

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:23 am

I am new to film

Do you mean 'to film' or 'to photography'.
If you have been making acceptable (to you at least) images with digital,
then I cannot see that 'film' is the issue. The M7 is a fine camera, and you
have chosen two fine lenses. Exposure will not be an issue with the M7
if you have read the manual and set up the camera. So this leaves us
with focusing in the mechanical sense, and vision and purpose in the
artistic sense. I assume you have the hang of the 'rangefinder' focusing.

So, if you were to critique your own images, what would you say?
Badly exposed (too dark or too light), out of focus, badly composed,
no 'snap', and so on.

Tell us more. Better yet, post a couple of your 'really terrible' images.

Perservere. The equipment you have is first rate.

digitsy

Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:51 pm

My sister has M7. She bought a a wonderful book Leica M7 Handbook
by Jonathan Eastland.Its basic operation to advanced techniques. It's more than an expanded user's manual, it gets you excited about photography in general and the M7 in particular. If you own an M7, you should have this book.

flyboy

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:37 am

What photography experience have you had?
Neophyte...First camera? Read the camera manual/book recommended/Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition by Bryan Peterson.
Transitioning from digtal to film? Understanding Exposure...

Film you wish to use?
Do you develop your own film?
Film: Pick ONE, and shoot with it till you know what it will do, and whether you like the results. If you like what you can do with it, go no further. If not, repeat.
Recommendation: Ilford XP2. 400 speed, very forgiving of exposure farbles, fine grain, (finer when you shoot it at ~300) can be processed in color negative chemicals, if you can convince the 19 year-old "expert" that it will not pollute his chemicals.
Expose properly, (for the shadows), adjust as necessary, shoot lots...the more we shoot, the better we get! :wink:
Excellent equipment....now make it do your bidding! After all, you ARE a photographer1 8)

OOOps! 2009! I just gotta start reading the posting dates! :mrgreen: Anyway, maybe this will help someone else with the same questions.

Board index Equipment Film Cameras New to film - help!