Board index PBase Show and Tell 112th Show & Tell Competition: Macro - WINNER

Show and Tell

112th Show & Tell Competition: Macro - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
sandiwhi

112th Show & Tell Competition: Macro - WINNER

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:12 pm

Thanks to you all for contributing so many fabulous entries! I couldn’t have gotten better examples of macros to motivate me to use my new macro lens, if I’d purchased a copy of Macro for Dummies (not sure there is one)! I’ve been in “contest manager hell” trying to narrow down the field to the winners, having started out with TWENTY-SIX finalists! Each one of those photos could easily have been the winner. You are some wonderful artists… Pbasers!

Struggling to decide the winners, I'm including 8 runners up that I feel must get recognition for their wonderful entries.

Here are the final results, and I’m only sorry I can’t include all 26 finalists!

Noel Saratan
Love the simplicity here, and the incredibly sharp details. Must be viewed in original size to appreciate it properly.

Stuart Clarke
Sharp and great color capture of this pretty snake and surrounding foliage, and a beautiful use of dof, bringing it right out of the photo towards us.

Susanne Schroeder
So many droplets captured to make a beautiful composition, right down to the last little droplet and it's reflection.

Markus Grompe
Fabulous dof and subtle colors in a beautifully composed shot.

Sayer
Wonderful close look at this prehistoric creature... sharp and great tonality in the skin and details in it's pretty eye.

David Pitcher
Beautiful example of an artistic use of macro to create abstract art... as a pedal becomes an ocean wave.

David Kinahan
Just the kind of artistic dof that attracts me to macro work. Beautiful and subtle.

Bud
See this one in it's original size, to enjoy the up close beauty of an ordinary fly. Those are some incredible eyes!

AND NOW... THE WINNERS

THIRD PLACE - GP Merfeld
This capture exemplifies what I like best about artistic use of macro. A wonderfully eye-pleasing composition with a water drop that's tack sharp and a beautiful dof.

SECOND PLACE - Lien Vu
Fell in love with this little critter at first glance. What a face and an amazing capture by Lien.

FIRST PLACE - Jeff Waldorf
Amazing capture, that is tack sharp, right down to it's sweet little toes, beautifully composed with a wonderful bokeh. Jeff has captured one of my favorite animals, that's welfare is so closely linked to our own... perched perfectly on a beautiful seed pod. Must view this wonderful pic in it's original size, to appreciate all the details!

Thanks again for the wonderful entries everyone, and I pass the baton to you, Jeff. Enjoy!
Sandi
Last edited by sandiwhi on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

gillk

Re: WINNERS - 112th Show and Tell Contest

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:12 pm

Congrats Jeff and to Sandi for choosing a wonderful selection of winners.

eko5

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:00 pm

Congrat's every one...
:=))

steve_nelson

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:45 pm

Wonderful work guys!

Congrats to all the finalists!

jwaldorff

Re: 112th Show & Tell Competition: Macro - WINNER

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:02 pm

Thank you, Sandi!
These are all great macros – congrats to everyone! It must have been very difficult for Sandi to choose a winner… I’m honored (and a little surprised) to win! :D

BTW – The frog is not sitting on a seed pod; he’s sitting on a Bishop Chess piece – hence the title “Checkmate!” ;-)

irislynx

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:19 pm

Congrats everyone! :D

davidkinahan

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:20 am

Congrats to everyone, and thanks for the honorable!!!

gpmerfeld

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:58 am

So many great images in this category!... Congrats to everyone, and a big thank you, Sandi, for including me... :~)

bclaypole

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:23 am

Great selections - all very rich in colour.

cits_4_pets

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:31 am

Great shots! Congrats to all the winners and HM. Wish I could get a macro lens for my point & shoot! VEry nice work ya'll
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

millagios

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:51 pm

What a fabulous challange with some stunning entries.
Congratulations to all of the participants and one big bravo to Jeff Waldorf, the winning photo is certainly a favorite of mine for many, many months.

terrybowker

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Congratulations to Jeff! Wonderful shots among all of the final picks; really fun subject matter. Thanks to Sandi for doing such an outstanding job!

Cheers,

Terry

hiero

Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:10 pm

Great work all, and thanks Sandi for being our host!
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

Board index PBase Show and Tell 112th Show & Tell Competition: Macro - WINNER